Focus Stacking.

pink Plus
16 6.3k 8 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2020 7:09AM
I use PS but not the auto function, I open the stack of images as layers and use masks, old fashioned but totally under your control.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

17 Jan 2020 9:18AM
Hello Ray,

I use Alan Hadleys free 'Combine ZP' he wrote the program for his own insect pics, it works fine with anything else though..

This is 4 pics combined the first at about 8" and the last about 5ft, if I'de used 5 I could have got the wood at the front in focus as well.

Cheers

329234_1579252725.jpg

saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
17 Jan 2020 9:55AM

Quote:Hello Ray,

I use Alan Hadleys free 'Combine ZP' he wrote the program for his own insect pics, it works fine with anything else though..

Be aware that Combine ZP is only available as a Windows version...
saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
2 Feb 2020 2:41PM
Downloaded the free 30-day trial of HeliconFocus and finally got round to trying it today.
Processed three stacks (30, 60 and 100 images) and ran them through both Helicon and Photoshop to compare the results.
Helicon won hands down on all counts, the results were far better than PS, especially when it came to alignment and sharpness at the edges.
Now purchased.
Dave_Canon Plus
13 1.6k United Kingdom
2 Feb 2020 7:36PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly consider buying Helicon focus. While Combine ZP has been OK as has recent versions of PS, I feel happy to pay Helicon something extra. I have used Helicon Remote now on two different cameras and changed from an Android platform to an iPad at no additional charge so I think I owe them. However, I probably only use Focus Stacking 2-3 times a year.

Dave
2 Feb 2020 8:45PM
Worth also checking Zerene stacker - for macro work it was more successful for me than Helicon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.