PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Focus stacking

Daffy1 13 399 Ireland
20 Sep 2020 7:55AM
I found the 'focus stacking' in my Z7. What are the best setting four focus stacking landscapes ? Damian
sausage Plus
16 684 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2020 9:03AM
Keep the camera on manual - exposure, WB etc. so that the image doesn't change between shots.
The number of shots depends on the depth of the subject and the distance between.
That changes depending on what you are photographing.
Other than that experiment!!

Good luck
Daffy1 13 399 Ireland
20 Sep 2020 9:27AM
Great , I'll experiment .!
sherlob Plus
14 3.2k 129 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2020 10:03AM
This a technique I am interested in having a play with myself, but to be honest I still haven't found the need whilst out in the field. By knowing how hyper-focal distancing works in practice with my gear (note: this isn't as straight forward as it seems, but once mastered takes literally moments) I usually find I don't need to stack. I have seen some great examples of the technique - one that comes to mind is a landscape shot with a curving leaf acting as a frame and lead in. Such shots would be impossible without stacking, but imho for most landscapes it is not a technique that is necessary.
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2020 11:08AM
As few as 2 shots can be enough for focus stacking in a landscape - one for the near detail and one for the far detail - though it depends on the landscape.
There is an often better alternative to HD with shorter focal length lens.
Work out the distance to the nearest detail you want sharp, with everything in manual mode, double that distance and shoot from a tripod at f8 or f11.
Check the near and far distance for sharpness by zooming in on the rear monitor - and if not quite sharp enough at near or far distance - repeat at 1 stop smaller.
Daffy1 13 399 Ireland
22 Sep 2020 11:39AM
Thank you that's great. I'll try that .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.