Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Focusing in the evening light

oll1e 12 57 2 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2007 4:12PM
Hi folks ,please help me out here as i was struggling as what to do ......the other night .
ok my problem was ,i was on the moors ,and there was a nice evening sun setting so i slapped in a 0.9 nd grad ,then recomposed my shot ,but by then the lens was hunting trying to focus ,so i switched to manual focusing ,but i couldn't see the ground clearly enough to focus sharply .i know this must sound dumb to most of you ...but what should i do next time
ollie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2007 5:34PM
Move the grad up a bit......
Kris_Dutson 16 8.2k 1 England
19 Jul 2007 5:47PM
If you're using a wide angle and a small aperture then switch to manual focus, wind it round to infinity then back it off a smidge and you won't be far out keeping front to back focus.

A more accurate way would be to go out during daylight, find a landscape and focus 1/3 up the frame and then make a small mark on your distance scale. Next time you're out in low light just line up your mark and Bob's yer Uncle as they say.

I have one on my 17-40L and it's called smidge. Wink
19 Jul 2007 7:17PM
hi cathy ,tried that but it was still way too dark ,thanks kris sounds like a good idea the smidge....lol
ollie
Melanie_M 14 168 9 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2007 7:54PM
I have a friend who uses a Coca Cola can. He places it at the point of focus and shines a torch on it. High contrast makes it easier to focus. Guess you could use anything that light will reflect well from.
Melanie_M 14 168 9 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2007 7:55PM
Trie to link to his site but EPZ rules do not allow.
He's not an EPZ member so try: www.colinhomes.com
User_Removed 14 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 10:10AM
Try using a really small f stop, like f32, set the focus to near infinity and use a remote release.
21 Jul 2007 2:24AM
melanie a great idea ,so simple but very effective ,thankyou for your help, and colins website looks great .thanks merl another great top tip
ollie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.