Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

Folio pic too big

10 Jan 2016 1:57PM
I set my foliopic site up on an iMac, where it looks great. It also looks great on my macbook, iPhone, and other peoples apple gear, BUT friends who use microsoft windows 8 and 10 have complained about the whole site ( not just the photos ) being too big for the screen, and having to scroll to see anything, and that they cannot see a full photo. I started off making my own layout version; and thinking this was the problem, just this morning resorted to a standard site layout, but the problem is still there. I have tried resizing some my shots to 900 pixels on the longest edge, but these still are far too big.....I did try the foliopic enquiries directly, but the answer didn't help. Any advice will be most welcome. You can go look at davegroutphotography.foliopic.com cheers everyone
ikett 10 545 England
10 Jan 2016 3:02PM
Looks fine to me using Win 10 Chrome and IE11, size is fine no scrolling needed. Checked a few pictures all OK no problems, nice looking site.
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
10 Jan 2016 3:52PM
The portrait format used in the banjo shot, figures in landscape and the one with the steps all required scrolling on my widescreen monitor using Firefox on Windows 7. Going fullscreen almost got them completely in, but I wouldn't normally go fullscreen for someone's website. I only looked at a few photos, so can't say whether others need scrolled.
10 Jan 2016 4:07PM
Thank you ikett and snapper, I have just discussed it with a husband and wife pals of ours, on their tablet it looks great, but on their windows 7 far too big, so I think I will take the photos of 1 by 1 and resize them smaller, and then reload. I am just building a Facebook version, as that may possibly be easier for some people. thanks again, Dave
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2016 4:11PM
A bit of a long shot, are you using a retina display?
10 Jan 2016 4:16PM
Yes Philh04 it is the 27 " iMac with retina, i was think perhaps I should use my macbook which has a non retina display.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
10 Jan 2016 4:27PM
As the retina display has twice the resolution it may be a reason, I am not sure as I am no web guru...

Actually thinking about that would result in the opposite.
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
10 Jan 2016 6:05PM
It's more an issue with limited layout of the Foliopic type website where the sizes are fixed. More expensive bespoke portfolio sites are nearly always responsive so the portrait orientation image will load at different sizes depending on the size of the screen/device that it is being viewed on to make sure if always looks perfect.

My website is similar to Foliopic and all images uploaded are 800 pixels which these days is very small and even then sometimes they are cut off in portrait orientation.

Your options are the either start uploading much smaller images so they will fit smaller screens (but will look small on larger displays) or accept that some people may have to scroll.
17 Jan 2016 10:56AM
Thank you Nickscape, and everyone else for your help.
17 Jan 2016 3:32PM
I am experimenting with images being posted, at 800 pixels and 75 ppi, they look ok in this smaller, but not too small form on the retina display. I have asked pals to go look see how they look on various devices.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.