Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Football Commentator 10/3/07 BBC1

Snapper Plus
15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
11 Mar 2007 12:46PM

Quote:TV money killed it's soul and Abramovich is putting the final nails in it's coffin.

And if you ever needed proof of this, just read this article!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
11 Mar 2007 10:54PM
Sorry to digress slightly (although for a good cause) which is worse Johnathan Pearce's remark in that game or Ray Stubs trying to sing? You Decide!
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2007 10:59PM

Quote:TV money killed it's soul

No football clubs got greedy.

Fortunately TV company's are not spending any were near what they they were a few years ago.

which has to be good for the sport.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
11 Apr 2007 12:49PM
I was watching the Chelsea game last night, and the man with the mike said "You can tell it is a proper champions Lg game when Morientiez and Shevchenko score" Explain?
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
11 Apr 2007 12:54PM
My favourite comment was a Radio 5 commentator who said something along the lines of "I hope those listening are watching this!" Erm...

But the thing that gets me the most is when the Sky presenters will say about the start of a cricket match "It will kick off at..." or "Kick off will be..."

It's cricket, not football or rugby!

If you are presenting a sports programme at least get the basic terminology right! You wouldn't have a football commentator saying "The players will tee off at..."!
mjsayles 14 1.0k
11 Apr 2007 3:18PM

Quote:Does anyone else wince whenever Gary Lineker says "The FA Cup sponsored by Eon" ?

Yes. I really hate it whenever the BBC make a big point of stressing who the sponsor is. If they're going to advertise then I want my licence fee back.
raziel_uk 16 4.9k
11 Apr 2007 3:23PM

Quote:Yes. I really hate it whenever the BBC make a big point of stressing who the sponsor is. If they're going to advertise then I want my licence fee back.

It's not a case of them wanting to advertise it, they have to.

Should they not say the Emirates Stadium? After all that's advertising the firm that paid to build it. And what about the Brit Oval in Cricket?

If the companies pay they expect their name to be used, otherwise why bother.

What I don't like in ANY sport is that the sponsors are so big and important to sport now that they can dictate what food/drink is taken to sports stadia. Buy tickets in advance to see the England Cricket team playing and when you receive the tickets you also receive an "accepted food and drink" list! Yes, you do get your bags searched when you arrive at the ground and security will remove any of the non-authorised snacks/beverages!
Geoffphoto 14 13.5k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2007 3:45PM

Quote:Does anyone else wince whenever Gary Lineker says "The FA Cup sponsored by Eon" ?

I wince when Gary says anything !!!!
dark_lord Plus
16 2.5k 663 England
11 Apr 2007 6:20PM

Quote:accepted food and drink" list

This can only mean

Quote:Junk food
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
13 Apr 2007 4:02PM

I see your point, but he puts me off Wakers crisp
davey 16 246 England
13 Apr 2007 4:50PM
Do you remember Brian Moore commentating?
He used to have me fuming during England matches when he would say "If you have just come home from the office England are .........".As if everyone in England works in an office.
I never once heard him say "If have just got home from the building site/from down the pit/oil refinery England are....."

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!
Geoffphoto 14 13.5k United Kingdom
13 Apr 2007 5:00PM
Ah ! the wonderful late great Brian Moore !! Trivia time folks !

Brian was a keen supporter of Gillingham FC, and was a director at the club for many years. As a consequence he was the most popular choice to have a new stand at the club's Priestfield Stadium named after him. A fanzine devoted to the club is also named in honour of Moore, called "Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium", a line from 'Dickie Davies' Eyes' by the cult indie band Half Man Half Biscuit.

Thay don't make commentators like him any more, Thank Heavens !

(but I still prefer Brian to Jonathan Pearce anyday !!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.