Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Forest sale plans

digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2011 8:52AM
Maybe they should just give the whole lot to the NT.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 Jan 2011 4:16PM
I`ve been having a look at woodland owned by the FC in my local area, they have a fair bit, but its mostly small woods. So if they sold it off, what can be used for, there can`t be much real value in the timber.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2011 5:45PM

Quote:Just to counter my belief that access won't be restricted, well it won't be in theory but in practical terms it has been at
Rigg Wood

Well colour me surprised.
ketch 12 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
31 Jan 2011 7:00PM
Yes indeed - I can find many many other examples in Somerset and Devon. One other important aspect to consider too about access - there are a great many FC woodlands where there is some element of disabled access (wheelchair friendly footpaths) - such things will just not be maintained when and if ownership gets transfered.

My guess however is that the pressure aginst this sell off is gathering momentum and the current regime, which has already shown a lack of fighting resolve, will cave in quite readily.

One of the prime reasons for acquiring woodland is speculative so it perhaps doesn't matter too much if many such woodlands are just small pockets of land. New owners are banking land in the hope that at sometime in the future development opportunities will emerge, not at entirely wholesome thought to my mind.
JohnParminter 13 1.3k 14 England
31 Jan 2011 7:54PM
Rigg Wood is an obvious case in practical terms where access has been lost and has changed my view somewhat to the possibilities that can happen.

Rigg Wood is flanked by other non F-C woods along a 4km stretch of Coniston Water with 4 other carparks that haven't been effected so whilst it is a shame that one carpark has been closed there is still parking within that small area.

There are always two sides to the story as well, the 100 acre wood that has been created for the use of residents of a village in North Cumbria.

I would have been perfectly happy for this change never to have been proposed, I'm not for it, my opinions are formed from practical use of private woodland now. I'm still optimistic though that large scale undesirable change will not happen however, the Woodland Trust has an important message to say so I did sign their pertition.....just in case.
MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
16 Feb 2011 11:40PM
MikeA 15 1.3k England
17 Feb 2011 1:53PM
Great news, but there is always the "back door", we must not be too complacent.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2011 5:06PM
"The government has just confirmed they're totally scrapping the forest sell-off. The phoney consultation has been cancelled. The sinister legal changes to pave the way for privatisation have been dropped.
We did this together. Next time someone tries to tell any of us that signing petitions or emailing our MPs doesn’t work, we’ll know exactly what to say: “People power does work. Just look at the Save Our Forests campaign”.
Over half a million of us can feel very proud of what we've achieved together today.
On the 38 Degrees Facebook page, members are celebrating"

38 Degrees is a web prescence pressure group attempting to find good causes to champion for the silent majority (with email).
ketch 12 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
17 Feb 2011 6:03PM

Quote:My guess however is that the pressure aginst this sell off is gathering momentum and the current regime, which has already shown a lack of fighting resolve, will cave in quite readily

Tongue Told you !!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.