Fort William

beaniebabe 16 2.3k England
23 Apr 2006 6:09AM
Please can People give me some Ideas to go in August, we are going to visit Glenfinnan as a definite already but any other ideas would be great....really need places that are accessible for a pram.

Thank you in advance

Angie x

p.s preferably no more than about 40 mile radius Smile
kaybee Plus
17 7.9k 27 Scotland
23 Apr 2006 7:10AM
Go to Corpach...good views of Ben Nevis (on a good day) and the canal/locks. There is also a great rock/gem museumif it is wet.
Malaig is a nice trip.
Glen Garry to get a shot of the Loch laid out below you looking just like a map of Scotland.You could then carry on down the single track road to Kinloch Hourn.
Glen Coe.
Spean Bridge.

I am sure you will get other suggestions.

Don't forget LOTS of Very strong insect repellent as the midges will do there best to eat you alive (and Oscar will not understand why - or how - you are trying to drive him to madness

Roy
23 Apr 2006 7:35AM
Thank you Roy Smile some great ideas, will write them all down

we are going to maliag on the train Smile

Insect repellant is it really that bad....have been told twice now :-o

Angie x
barnowl 16 697
23 Apr 2006 7:38AM
If you are down near Glen Coe go to Loch Etive. Beautiful 14 mile drive down to the Loch and if you are lucky enough to be there on your own one of the quietest places you will have ever been to. You can hear the silence.

Gary
mr g 17 403 3 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2006 7:43AM
I'll third the insect repellant motion. A must have, especially if you go anywhere near water.
23 Apr 2006 7:45AM
gary , thanks though with my tribe...the silence will run away...may have to make that one on my own Wink

Rob thanks will start buying lots of it soon

Angie x
KenTaylor 17 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2006 7:52AM
You might well need insect repellent for the midges that can be bad on certain still days. There is Citronella, an aroma therapy oil that must be used very sparingly. Also Avon Skin so Soft from the Woodland Fresh range that is lot more pleasant to smell. It has something that the midges are not very happy with.
Having frightened you to death have no fear as conditions have to be calm and warm in which case keep a distance from water which is from where they emerge.
Have a good trip, and yes Gary is right, Loch Etive is something else more so late evening or early morn.

Ken
23 Apr 2006 7:56AM
Thanks Ken

I'll catch the avon woman next time around Grin, loch etive will have to be one of my early morning trips on my own Smile

Angie x
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
23 Apr 2006 8:13AM
Angie,

You can order Avon Skin So Soft from www.tiso.com or any of the Tiso shops.

Andy.
23 Apr 2006 8:36AM
Thanks Andy, never knew that

Angie x
SuziBlue 19 16.2k 10 Scotland
23 Apr 2006 8:45AM
Ditto ditto ditto about the midges. They have teeth, I swear. And they are quite happy to wait chatting outside the car in their thousands whilst you sit inside watching the sunset until you get out to brush the sandwich crumbs off and have a breath of fresh air, forgetting they are there. Then they pounce. All of them. All at once. So yes, midge repellant is not just a must it's as essential as breathing on a regular basis. Once you've slapped it on it's fine, of course 8-]

If it's August and my memory serves me right are you far enough north for the very very late sunsets? still quite light at 11 p.m.? Good memories of midnight skies ..
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
23 Apr 2006 9:31AM
The good/bad news is that the midges are late this year apparently. Whether that will make them better or worse by August is anybody's guess!
KenTaylor 17 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2006 9:38AM
They are lying low for when I go up there in a couple of weeks time Smile
Ken
23 Apr 2006 9:43AM
Suzi...lol Smile and thanks

Snapper thank you..still non the wiser the as usual Wink
Camairish 16 1.4k Scotland
23 Apr 2006 9:45AM
I'm on first name terms with most of the midges on the west coast - I'll have a word in their little ears and get them to bite anyone towing a caravan instead.
Ian.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.