Frames and Mounts

Bonvilston 9 61 8 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 2:53PM
I have tried printing enlargements and mounting them in frames in the past with mixed results. The whole process always ended in such frustration that I gave up.

My problem is that my camera shoots on a ratio of 3:2 - like most digital cameras I assume. Going round the shops I find that the frames and mounts are either square panoramic or 4:3. Mounts are almost all on a 4:3 ration. It seems a waste of the pixels lost to leave room for cropping to 4:3. Even when you do it is hard to get a printer to produce in a larger 4:3 ratio. Do the printers ever talk to the frame/mount manufacturers ???

It must be a common issue for many of you out there. What do you do ? In all the messing am I missing something ?

I feel a headache coming on !!!!!!!

HEELLLPPPP !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 3:36PM
Got to cotswold mounts for your mounts and you will be able to buy mounts with the correct inner window size for your standard 3:2 images but with standard frame size external dimensions.

They are nice people to deal with, produce a good product at a low price and quite a few of us here use them
Chrism8 13 951 27 England
23 Feb 2013 3:44PM
If u speak to them and buy in sheet qty, they will pretty much produce any size u need, I buy 20x16 with an A3 cutout and as long as I take min 4, there's no problem.
moongirl 7 6 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2013 10:21AM
I print and sell all my photos at 3 : 2 ratio as I think it looks better. I don't find a problem finding frames in sizes to fit - ie: 16x12 frame for 12x8 print, 24x18 frame for a 18 x 12 print. There are loads on ebay that you can buy with or without mount. Or otherwise buy any frame and get custom mounts from Cotswold mounts as mentioned above.
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
29 Mar 2013 10:30AM

Quote:and as long as I take min 4

That is the problem with Cotswold Mounts, you have to buy in bulk at the same size and they do not do " one offs " . The reason I did not use them last year when preparing for an exhibition.
Chrism8 13 951 27 England
29 Mar 2013 2:27PM
I don't consider taking 4 as a bulk buy, not when it's a " special " internal size requested. the larger the external dimension the lower the min qty required as they work to full sheet sizes. I tend to keep a stock of 2 or 3 ready for the next sale and re-order when I've moved these.
30 Apr 2013 12:48PM
Give these guys a try....

www.britmounts.com
MrDennis Plus
11 272 Wales
1 May 2013 8:50PM
Do you not crop to your desired size then?? I do. That way I get NO problems. Save yourself the hassle and crop to the size you want.
To make it easier for yourself, get PhotoResizer 7.5..
Sooty_1 10 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
2 May 2013 5:36PM
You could always cut your own mounts, it isn't difficult. Then you can cut whatever custom size you want inside, and use a standard frame size outside.

Nick
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
2 May 2013 5:48PM

Quote:You could always cut your own mounts, it isn't difficult.

Yes it is Sad
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 May 2013 6:01PM
Bevels, Mr Gee? Wink
Ewanneil 10 1.1k 2 Scotland
2 May 2013 6:17PM

Quote:You could always cut your own mounts, it isn't difficult.
Yes it is Sad

It's not too hard if you have a decent mount cutter and you take your time and make careful measurements. The old adage of measure twice: cut once was rarely more appropriate.
Chris_H 16 1.5k 1
2 May 2013 9:32PM

Quote:
You could always cut your own mounts, it isn't difficult.
Yes it is Sad

It can take a little bit of practise to get the results you want, squaring, over/under cuts and hooking can be problematic if you don't know what you are doing. Having said that once you have mastered it you have full control over sizing and you can use much better mountboards and a better range than the ones you will get from a lot of the ready made suppliers.

Every framer will be different, some will be way over priced but you can find some will be quite reasonable. If you have one local you could just get your framer to cut a quick mount for you as and when you require them.

If you do mount the pictures yourself it's worth reading up and watching a few clips on how to do it properly. The image should be mounted to the undermount and not the window mount. A lot of photographers simply tape either just the top or the whole image all the way around to the window mount with masking tape which is a big no no.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.