Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Framing digital prints

JulieR 15 28 England
13 Mar 2007 9:29PM
Hi All
Has anyone experienced any problems framing epson semigloss prints under glass, particularly outgassing?

I ask because I have just experienced some strange fogging to the glass after a couple of days of framing.

Many thanks J.
ksh 16 467
13 Mar 2007 10:01PM
Just a thought - did you let it dry out properly? I usually leave mine for 24 hour
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Mar 2007 10:02PM
That's an absolute must
bill_mcg 14 3
14 Mar 2007 12:13AM
Yes Julie. I know all about the problems you are suffering from as I suffer from them too. It's great the way Epson in the UK claim never to have heard of the problem when the leaflet in the 24" roll of glossy paper gives you a solution. The strange fogging is an oily substance that appears on the inside of the glass. I am reiably told that this is caused by solvents evaporating out of the paper. Apparently the solvents hit a polythene layer in the paper which is designed to stop liquids from soaking right through. Then after you apply some heat and light the solvent which is stuck against the resin coating has no choice but to come back out again and onto the glass.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2007 9:22AM
I have had it with prints that have been left to dry for over a week Sad

Quote:the leaflet in the 24" roll of glossy paper gives you a solution.

What is the solution then?
bill_mcg 14 3
14 Mar 2007 10:33PM
Ah the solution... Oops forgot to tell you that didn't I. According to Epson you lay the paper flat and cover it with Matt proofing paper, wait until the paper crinkles and the jobs done. What we do is use the proofing paper on top of the glossy paper and then put both papers under a sheet of glass and then gently heat up the "sandwich" with a couple of sixty watt bulbs. Leave for a couple hours and the solvent comes back out of the paper. A total pain to do but it is better than the customers bringing the frames back for cleaning.
JulieR 15 28 England
15 Mar 2007 5:19PM
Many thanks Bill, that is really useful. One more question, sorry, where do I get matte proofing paper? I have not heard of this before. Is it like blotting paper? Thank you so much you have helped me out of a real headache Smile
bill_mcg 14 3
17 Mar 2007 9:04PM
You can get matt proofing paper from Epson (Of Course) but it's too expensive to just throw away. Use any plain paper that has no coating. If it crinkles when you put it on the RC inkjet paper for a while then it will be ok. We use a roll of paper that we got for shipping unframed prints.
JulieR 15 28 England
19 Mar 2007 7:45PM
Thats brilliant, thank you Bill so much Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.