Free to enter: Historic Photographer of the Year

HPOTY New Member 1
13 Jul 2020 4:45PM
Share your passion for the world's most incredible cultural places. The Historic Photographer of the Year is open to amateur and professional photographers around the world.

Enter at: www.historicphotographeroftheyear.com/

Free to enter.

Entries open: 14 July 2020

Deadline: 18 October 2020

Top prize: £250

Est. 2017

Terms and Conditions: https://www.historicphotographeroftheyear.com/terms-conditions/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
14 Jul 2020 8:27AM
Prizes of a few hundred quid to get "non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, licence of intellectual property rights in the Competition entry and any accompanying materials ... to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-license" to every entry.

That's a big "no thanks" from me.
You could basically set up your own image library with those terms.
HPOTY New Member 1
14 Jul 2020 4:55PM
Hi Big Bri,

Thanks for your feedback. Just to clarify, the license relates only to uses directly related to the competition and with a three year term from date of entry. It would not allow such uses as you mention.

The full terms are available on the official website but to ensure visibility here, the full clause you have cited is below:

Copyright and moral rights in all images submitted for this Competition remain with the entrants. Notwithstanding this, in consideration of entering the Competition, each entrant agrees to grant the Promoter and the relevant Category Partner a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, licence of intellectual property rights in the Competition entry and any accompanying materials (and otherwise arising in connection with the entry to which the entrant may now or at any time in the future be entitled under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 as amended from time to time and under all similar legislation from time to time in force anywhere in the world) for the Term, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-license the Competition entry and any accompanying materials for any purpose connected with the Competition, with a right to sublicense as necessary, such purposes to include without limitation:

(a) the process of judging the Competitions;

(b) display during the Historic England Angel Awards;

(c) publicising and promoting the Competition Ė both print and digital; and/or

(d) the Promoterís and/or relevant Category Partnerís activities, including within their publications, on their websites and social media channels, including without limitation in any associated books or calendars produced or associated publications.

The Promoter and/or the Category Partner, as applicable, will seek the permission and agreement from entrants before the inclusion of any images entered more than three (3) years previously in any associated book, subject to payment of the Promoterís/Category Partnerís standard fee.

Except in relation to the inclusion of any entries in books or calendars or associated publications authorised for publication within three years from the Closing Date in which case the Term is perpetual, in all other cases the Term shall be three (3) years from the Closing Date.

I hope this goes some way to reassure you and we look forward to your participation in this year's awards.

Many thanks.
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2020 5:30PM
Very many thanks for the link to the competition; I really don't want to seem ungrateful but I also read the terms and conditions before entering as above and wonder what purposes connected with the competition are or could be?

It is enough to put me off entering; I wonder what others think?
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
15 Jul 2020 11:11AM

Quote:Just to clarify, the license relates only to uses directly related to the competition and with a three year term from date of entry. It would not allow such uses as you mention.

Thanks for clarification, I can see that now.
pathrover 5 49 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2020 3:14PM
How old does the photographer have to be, to be classified as historic?

I do feel that way some days!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.