ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Fridge sized energy unit...No carbon exhaust..Fake News?

tonyguitar 10 77 37 Canada
18 Aug 2018 9:23PM
Found this and wonder about ' fake news'. What do you know?? I am not research smart enough to verify this...

Energy unit the size of a fridge runs a farm with no carbon exhaust.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2014295898601266&set=p.2014295898601266&type=3&theater

could be a version of the bloom box [Google] made in California. TG
Willpower 11 523 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 9:39AM
I personally would be very suspicious of anything that portrays such appalling grammar and construction of sentences as this piece. Some of it doesn't even make sense.
thewilliam2 5 1.6k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 10:14AM
And this piece wasn't even published on 1st April.

Water is a combustion product so how do they extract energy unless it's moving or falling?
Fma7 7 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 10:35AM
If you look at the website they use electricity to extract hydrogen from water and nitrogen from air.

I think the point that's being made is that ammonia (NH3) can be used as an alternative to petrol or diesel rather than some "free energy" scam.
seahawk 15 1.4k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 10:38AM
I suspect the item describes the heating plant from an air-source heat pump. It's the size of a big fridge and it provides the heating and hot water supply for my new house. It extracts heat from fresh air (like a fridge in reverse) and heats the water in the underfloor heating system via a heat-exchanger. There is no carbon exhaust!
I'm delighted with it.
Chris_L 8 5.5k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 10:55AM
This is the idea

19 Aug 2018 2:25PM
The combustion products of the "clean" ammonia fuel are oxides of nitrogen plus water which combine to form nitric acid!
19 Aug 2018 2:36PM
When I was a sixth-former, I attended a very interesting lecture given by a research chemist from ICI.

During question time, one of the audience asked him to future gaze and one example he gave was the "fixing" of atmospheric nitrogen. We were all familiar with the Haber process that worked at 250 Bar pressure and 500 degrees Celsius, (invented by Fritz Haber who was the father of modern poison gas warfare and inventor of Zyklon B) but many growing plants do much the same thing at ambient pressure and temperature by using the right catalysts. The speaker predicted that energy-hungry processes like Haber would be replaced by catalytic processes and 50 years later, this seems to have happened!
tonyguitar 10 77 37 Canada
19 Aug 2018 8:32PM
This is what I hoped for and looks so promising. Delighted!! TG
DaveRyder Plus
8 6.5k 17 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2018 8:52PM
Google 'Anhydrous Ammonia Burns' and switch to images.

Not what I would want in a pressurised tank in back of my car.
I have analysed this as a Lab Tech and it's not, as the gentleman quotes in one of his videos, 'safer than hydrogen'.

It's a top tear COMAH chemical and the Bosch-Harbor process is based on natural gas as a raw material.

20 Aug 2018 8:49AM
The snag with ammonia is that the combustion products are oxides of nitrogen plus water which combine to form nitric acid. Not exactly "clean" is it?
brian1208 19 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2018 10:50AM
if you want a Fridge Sized zero emission power unit you are talking about a hydrogen fuel cell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle (in fact it can come in two "flavours" fuel cells generating electricity as the power train or compressed liquid hydrogen for a more conventional internal combustion engine)

Neither source is truly "Zero Emission" as energy is consumed during manufacture of the device and the liquefaction of hydrogen / formation of the lithium hydride fuel sources

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.