Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Fuji XF 16-80 - Not worth the money?

20 Nov 2020 9:52AM
I'm looking to make the switch over to fuji (either the X-S10 or X-T4) from m43, and the idea of the 16-80 f/4 lens has intrigued me. It matches my current 12-60 standard zoom on my m43 camera, I like the constant f/4 max aperture, and it's at a good price when part of a kit.

However, the reviews and forums seem to have raised three big issues that could be deal breakers for me:

1. Soft corners. I'd be looking to take this out on hikes to get landscape shots. Some reviewers are saying the corners really don't get anything beyond "fair" sharpness, which isn't ideal. Can anyone confirm/contradict this point?

2. Shutter shock at low shutter speeds. Again, as a landscape photographer I sometimes shoot at quite slow shutter speeds, so if it's not able to provide sharp images then that's a real deal breaker. Has anyone experienced this?

3. Focus wobble while zooming in video. This one is less critical to me at the moment, but I am planning to get more into video so I'd like my next kit lens to be capable in that regard. Has anyone noticed this?

Finally, it seems this lens has gone through quite a number of firmware updates already, have they managed to fix any of these issues?
Techno Plus
12 5.7k 8 England
20 Nov 2020 1:01PM

Quote:1. Soft corners. I'd be looking to take this out on hikes to get landscape shots. Some reviewers are saying the corners really don't get anything beyond "fair" sharpness, which isn't ideal. Can anyone confirm/contradict this point?

Purchased mine in August, firmware v1.05, replacing the Wonderful Kit Lens 18-55mm f2.8-4 I needed that extra reach, I am not disappointed whatsoever, I read those reviews too......Sad

Quote: 2. Shutter shock at low shutter speeds. Again, as a landscape photographer I sometimes shoot at quite slow shutter speeds, so if it's not able to provide sharp images then that's a real deal breaker. Has anyone experienced this?

Shutter shock on a mirrorless?

Quote:3. Focus wobble while zooming in video. This one is less critical to me at the moment, but I am planning to get more into video so I'd like my next kit lens to be capable in that regard. Has anyone noticed this?

Not really into video, so unqualified to comment......

I have complete trust in all my Fuji Kit and Fujifilm without reservation, and what other manufacturer offers firmware updates on 2yr+ cameras and lenses, just recently added an XT3 to my collection based on this knowledge...
saltireblue Plus
10 11.2k 68 Norway
20 Nov 2020 1:24PM
I moved from the 18-55 to this lens for the extra reach - I was used to 24-105 on a Canon FF.
(I shoot with an X-T3)

The lens is not stunningly sharp in the corners at f/4, but shut down to 5.6 or 8 and I don't think you'll have any problems - I don't, but it has to be said I don't shoot 'conventional' landscapes and m style of photograph is not reliant on knife-sharp images.

Never heard of shutter shock being a problem , although on googling it, it seems to have been a situation that has been resolved by a firmware update. As for video, I cannot comment as never use it...
sausage Plus
16 676 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 3:58PM

Quote:I'm looking to make the switch over to fuji (either the X-S10 or X-T4) from m43, and the idea of the 16-80 f/4 lens has intrigued me. It matches my current 12-60 standard zoom on my m43 camera, I like the constant f/4 max aperture, and it's at a good price when part of a kit.

However, the reviews and forums seem to have raised three big issues that could be deal breakers for me:

1. Soft corners. I'd be looking to take this out on hikes to get landscape shots. Some reviewers are saying the corners really don't get anything beyond "fair" sharpness, which isn't ideal. Can anyone confirm/contradict this point?

2. Shutter shock at low shutter speeds. Again, as a landscape photographer I sometimes shoot at quite slow shutter speeds, so if it's not able to provide sharp images then that's a real deal breaker. Has anyone experienced this?

3. Focus wobble while zooming in video. This one is less critical to me at the moment, but I am planning to get more into video so I'd like my next kit lens to be capable in that regard. Has anyone noticed this?

Finally, it seems this lens has gone through quite a number of firmware updates already, have they managed to fix any of these issues?

I have not got that lens but all lenses will have some problem whilst zooming in video. The lens needs to be parfocal that is to say it retains focus throughout the zoom, still lenses don't do that.
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
20 Nov 2020 4:05PM

Quote:I'm looking to make the switch over to fuji (either the X-S10 or X-T4) from m43, and the idea of the 16-80 f/4 lens has intrigued me. It matches my current 12-60 standard zoom on my m43 camera, I like the constant f/4 max aperture, and it's at a good price when part of a kit.

Was this from the review on here? It mentions the edge sharpness "problem", but also says that it seems better on 3D subjects rather than flat charts, and gives it 4.5/5 for performance. Possibly copy specific?
themak 7 1.0k Scotland
21 Nov 2020 5:16PM
I swapped my 18-55 to this and I use it a lot more on hill walks than I used that lens, despite it being slightly less sharp overall. I think the much better bokeh gives more pleasing images and the extra range is often useful. Corner sharpness, or lack of, in real life is a non-issue.
Haven't experienced shutter-shock, but I seldom do long exposures. Don't do video either.
As part of a kit, it's the much better option, I'd say.
None of the firmware updates are for major glitches.
22 Nov 2020 2:50PM
Swapped the 18-55 for the 16-80 a few months ago and been very happy with it since. The extra on the telephoto end and slightly wide means it is often the only landscape lens I need (less changing in the field). Normally on landscapes I tend to be stopped down anyway so not noticed any softness on images. As for shutter shock not noticed anything like that and often shoot long exposures on the xt3. Sorry cant speak about zoom issues on video. For me changing over to the Fuji was about how tactical the camera felt in your hands, just a fun camera to play with
Cheers
Jason

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.