Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Fujifilm S7000 is it realy as bad as AP's review.

KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
12 Dec 2003 6:06PM
I do think it depends on what you want from your camera. As far as I can tell, the s7000 is excellent value for money, reasoanbly simple to use, although the buttons are a bit "all over the place", as are the various menu options. The 12 million mega thing is a waste of time, and the auto focus occasionally has a mind of its own. I am still experimenting, but the auto mode seems adequate, and the SP settings work quite well. Must admit to mainly using the speed priority mode. The digital zoom is crap, but then, aren't they all?

Regarding image quality - I have not been worried by the noise, and most photos have been relatively sharp, although most of my subjects are moving at very high speed! The colours appear to reproduce exceptionally well, but as with all digi cameras, this is rather dependant on how your monitior is calibrated - I have no idea what my photos look like on other people's monitors, I have plumbed the depths of colour management, (don't go there!) and am happy with what comes out of the printer.

Using the camera in normal mode (no added sharpness) on 200 iso setting seems to give the best results. Have not noticed added noise on 400 setting, but the shots did seem to be slightly over-exposed and colours a bit washed out on 400.

Overall, I am very pleased with the s7000, and feel it is a good all rounder.

Kathy
durlstonp 18 638 1 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2004 11:39PM
A friend is looking at the s3000 and s5000 - is there any further feedback from owners? One of the things that has him swinging towards the latter is the greater focal length on the zoom - are there any decent competing makes/models with similar superzooms?

DP
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
6 Jan 2004 12:41AM
The S7000 got a good review in this month's PP. If I were buying now I would have no hesitation about buying the S7000. It came out about two months after I had bought my S602Z. Still, I am very pleased with it.

It covers the range of lenses I used with film cameras, and without the bother of changing them, carrying them and without the problem of dust getting the camera during lens changes. At full zoom the lens is faster than my film longer lenses. I no longer have to carry a small flash around with me. I can use a more powerful flash if I need to.

The viewfinder brightness appear to increase in lower ambient light levels, so I can see in situations where SLR view finder became very dark. Particularly when the 35-80mm and 70-210mm zooms were used.

I could go on.

A vast number of other members seem to have the 602 and and sing its praises.

Just Jas
durlstonp 18 638 1 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2004 11:16AM
He's not looking at the s7000 as his budget simply doesn't go that far - the s5000 is right at the top end of his stretched budget.

He's not a photographer as such and isn't looking for the range of features that many of us would consider essential for our needs. He's estimating maybe 300-350 shots per year, but as this is his first camera, he's not sure. He wants to record moments, rather than take photos at this stage, but wants to reserve the right to take control later if the creative bug bites him. He likes the SLR styling and long zoom range coupled with the small size of the new Fujis.

I don't want to steer him to a duff camera, or even an average one if there is a better alternative available in his price range. That said, the epz shop sale only goes until 11 Jan, at which point the s5000 will move outside his price range.

DP
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
7 Jan 2004 12:57AM
This response was really to Kathy's comment previous, which was on the original thread.

Re the S5000, much of what I said for 602 still holds true.

There is a site devoted to pics taken by the S5000. There are some great pics on this site.

I don't think that there are any really bad cameras in this day and age. choose what suits you best, ie has the features you want.

I stand to be corrected, of course!

Just Jas

There are a number of sites offering these cameras at attractive prices. WHXprss will stay competitive, no doubt.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.