GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Full frame or cropped camera for photographing kingfishers

16 Sep 2012 11:40AM
At the moment I am using a 1.5 cropped sensor for photographing kingfishers.
I am hoping to acquire, shortly a full frame. both cameras are 24+ MP similar 10-12 FPS etc.
I think the full frame sensor, will give an improved image quality, as I can adjust the distance to the bird to fill the frame.
I also know the Full frame will cope with noise better.
I would be interested in opinions regarding full frame V cropped?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
16 Sep 2012 11:55AM
You will need a longer lens (1.5x what you use at present) to make the most of FF.

Cropping a FF image will generally give you lower quality than shooting with a crop sensor because of loss of resolution when cropping...... if this is what you have in mind.
John_Frid 13 514 57 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2012 12:39PM
My guess (and it is a guess) is that the FF may not actually give you any particular advantage unless you also have longer lenses (by a factor of 1.5x). If the actual total number of pixels is the same, you would have to crop on the FF to fill the same area. Now the FF is using less pixels to get the same image size and hence the quality may be less.
macroman 16 15.3k England
16 Sep 2012 1:18PM
That's my assessment as well.

To some extent full frame is a throwback to old film technology, and has no major advantage, unless you have a corresponding increase in pixel density.

In theory the lower noise with FF would incur an advantage, but in practise ????.

A point to bear in mind is that you can stay further away from the birds with the cropped sensor for the same image size, unless you have a longer lens.

As an ex-film dinosaur who "doesn't care about progress" I am tending towards the idea that FF is not really neccesary given the improvements in sensor technology.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
16 Sep 2012 4:56PM

Quote:I think the full frame sensor, will give an improved image quality, as I can adjust the distance to the bird to fill the frame.
I also know the Full frame will cope with noise better

The gap is often smaller than you would think.

http://www.slrlounge.com/why-the-olympus-om-d-is-a-paradigm-shift
ianrobinson 9 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2012 6:03PM
very interesting reading Paul it is very tempting to say the least.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.