Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensor - Do you really need to upgrade to Full Frame?

Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
26 Aug 2019 12:06PM
Interestingly the Mk VII version of the Sony RX100 dropped the built in ND filter but added a mic port - which some would regard as equally essential for high-end video.

Not sure why they dropped the ND filter. However, a magnetic filter holder will fit on the RX100.... LINK But It's a bit pricey and a built in ND is better.
26 Aug 2019 11:59PM

Quote:
Quote:Have you taken a look at the now discontinued Nikon "J" series camera? The Nikon 1 J5 comes to mind.

Yes but it was actually larger than the Pansonic GM1 with the bigger MFT sensor (I have owned a couple of those in my time).

In your remarks pertaining to your interest in suggestions you never indicated that size or weight was a criteria. Here is a suggestion for you - get it all straight in your head before asking for help next time. I am sure neither I nor anyone else appreciates wasting our time trying to help someone who is so uncertain. Your biggest problem may simply be that you don't know what you want.
27 Aug 2019 12:22AM

Quote:Here is a suggestion for you - get it all straight in your head before asking for help next time

I wasn't aware I was looking for any help whatsoever on this particular thread. I have been involved in photography for quite a few decades, including occasionally selling some of my stuff - once in a blue moon admittedly!

You have unfortunately got it wrong in your assumption that a smaller sensor size always means a smaller device. That's all I was pointing out.
thewilliam2 4 1.5k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2019 9:55AM

Quote:
In your remarks pertaining to your interest in suggestions you never indicated that size or weight was a criteria. Here is a suggestion for you - get it all straight in your head before asking for help next time. I am sure neither I nor anyone else appreciates wasting our time trying to help someone who is so uncertain. Your biggest problem may simply be that you don't know what you want.

I've lost count of the times I've read or been asked something along the lines of "I want to upgrade my Nikon D3300 but I don't know what to buy". Too many punters have swallowed the advertisers's message that they need a more expensive camera if they're to take better pictures but don't understand why.

I'd suggest that we experienced photographers need to be compassionate rather than heaping condemnation upon the newbie.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2019 10:28AM
Westcamera you are combining the OP's post with CB's comments. Please acquaint yourself with who said what before scolding people. Now you've set TheWilliam off. He's never going to be settled in time for his nap now.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
27 Aug 2019 10:43AM

Quote:Now you've set TheWilliam off. He's never going to be settled in time for his nap now.

LOL Grin
27 Aug 2019 10:44AM

Quote:Now you've set TheWilliam off. He's never going to be settled in time for his nap now

biggrin-light.jpg
seahawk 14 1.4k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2019 10:57AM
Can I refer the OP to this blog here. David is a regular contributor to ePz and IMHO he talks a lot of sense.
filmforever 13 775
27 Aug 2019 11:01AM
As a retired pro., I tend to come at this from a different point of view. There weren't the full frame options at the time of the changeover from film, the biggest bugbear was having to utilise a 16mm lens to get a 24mm equivalent wide angle, and suddenly your really useful 80-200mm zoom on 35mm became a rather useless 120-300mm

When I retired, 12mp cameras were the norm., easily enough to fill a magazine or newspaper page quality-wise. Instead of obsessing yourself with megapixels, think of the picture content instead. A pro. colleague who's more up to date with the technology than me reckons unless you're regularly making prints the size of a barn door, you're wasting your money spending several thousand on the latest digi wonder boasting 50mgp or thereabouts. Remember it'll be out of date in about 3 years time.
27 Aug 2019 12:15PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
28 Aug 2019 3:30AM
Do I need full frame ? No

I have ordered a Pentax K1. Full frame.
joshwa Plus
10 927 1 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2019 11:24AM
30 Aug 2019 12:12PM
For most non-pros, FF is just a "want", not a "need".
30 Aug 2019 1:23PM
Isn't the whole of amateur photography based on "want" rather than "need"?

Spending or often wasting money on expensive kit gives a lot of pleasure to a lot of people so why not?
30 Aug 2019 2:55PM

Quote:Isn't the whole of amateur photography based on "want" rather than "need"?

Spending or often wasting money on expensive kit gives a lot of pleasure to a lot of people so why not?

Yes - but there is a lot of self-kiddery involved.Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.