G10- is it good or wait for G11?

camerajazz 10 3 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 4:20PM
I want to upgrade from a fairly flexible but old Fuji Finepix compact, but not go to the super-zooms or the SLRs as too heavy & bulky. (it has to fit a handbag! but still give me lots of options)
I've seen and liked the G10. Are there any issues with it that don't show when you try them in a shop?
Should I wait for the G11?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 4:34PM
I've got one that I keep in my handbag, it is good, but like most compacts noisy at anything over ISO 200. I have been pleased with it's performance and have even managed to get some cycling shots with it. It pans well, but didn't cope well with riders coming directly towards me.
geoffash26 15 2.5k United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 4:51PM
Wait for the G11
worth a read
webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
18 Sep 2009 7:14PM

Quote:Wait for the G11

Or wait for the G12 - that would come with even better specs... Smile

I have a G10 for 'the handbag' and all those times that I don't want to dig up the DSLR.
When viewed closed up in PS, the pictures may not look that good but when printed out - I only see quality - even with my glasses on.

Jacqueline
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2009 7:25PM
perhaps the G12 will have even less pixels and be all the better.
Little Jo Plus
17 2.3k United Kingdom
21 Sep 2009 6:43PM
The G10 is a good camera and you might be able to get one at a better price once the G11 is in the stores as dealers shift stock, though with the new camera priced so high, it will be beyond many budgets.

I'd love a G11, but I can wait until the price eases back.

Jo
10 Oct 2009 10:55PM
Had a play with the G11 today and at first glance its impressive. Will do some shots tomorrow and upload a few variations for those interested
11 Oct 2009 3:00PM
Ok I've uploaded a few shots G11 .
For a compact camera although not cheap,did impress me.

A few things that I like
Start up time is less than a secound
controls are very similar to the dslrs
flip and rotate screen
metering seemed good

If I had a little spare cash at the moment I would certainly buy one of these
11 Oct 2009 6:15PM
Hi Geoff, whats the shutter lag like
11 Oct 2009 6:28PM
just done a couple of shots using the coving as a focal point, white ceiling magnolia wall so not a lot of contrast and low light to add.I would say with a jab type push on the shutter release about 1/2 a second to focus and capture, not bad in my eyesSmile
11 Oct 2009 6:37PM
Thanks Geoff, was hoping for something rather better than the G10 which in experince is way to slow. If it perks up outside, please can you let me know.
unionjak 15 56 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2009 10:12AM
Got shot of my 5d for a g10, just for ease of use(i am not a pro) and it comes with me everywhere. Quality is excellent, its fast and can take the knocks. It was as easy to get to use as the 5d and battery life is amazing.

Its not all roses mind you,
Some software apps don't like the cr2 files it gives out...ufraw,gimp and lightbox to name 3. CS4 and all of the big boys play nicely so to some the above failings dont matter....

Steve.
ps. hello geoff, nice to here from you, i keep seeing you in your van Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.