Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

G11 or ?

Jonny_Darko 10 5 1
21 Jun 2010 9:38AM
Hi
I am looking to guy something like a canon G11 and was wandering if that is a good camera and Is there anything else out there which would be a better camera and a better buy.
Thanks in advance.
irishman 16 1.1k 2 Ireland
21 Jun 2010 10:07AM
Canon s90 Smile much more compact that g11, still shoots in raw and excellent in low light.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Jun 2010 10:09AM
I take it you looking for something in the compact format......?

If so have a look at the new Sony NEX models , They have an APC sized sensor ( same as a crop DSLR ) As well as interchangable lens......Smile

In theory a compact that should equal a full sized DSLR for image quality and ISO performance.....Grin

They are not cheap, But the G11 is not either.....Wink
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2010 10:19AM
It's an outstanding camera. I wanted something for a walk-about, that shot RAW, had a hot shoe, and never caused me to shout "d@mn! wrong lens!". It hasn't disappointed. It's truly fantastic, and sometimes you have to remind yourself that it's a compact. It's a better camera than the top-spec Sony bridge camera that I had until three years ago. The grip is fantastic as well, and it's built like a tank. I've had it held in a death grip off the back of a very large quad bike at 50mph, which just wouldn't be possible with some of the skinnier models.
Only negative: I wanted the optical viewfinder, and it's turned out to be useless, and I end up using the screen 90% of the time. Dust gets in to the finder (nothing in the sensor yet though) through the dioptre dial and you can't clean it out. So the window's just there for show, unless stability is more important than precise composition.
If you don't need the hot shoe and can hold a smaller camera though, go with the S90.
dandeakin 13 209 3 England
21 Jun 2010 10:57AM
There's a brand new G11 in the classifieds at the moment...
Jonny_Darko 10 5 1
21 Jun 2010 1:41PM
Thank you for all the replies.
At the moment I have a canon 1DS mark one and want something lighter and more compact. Would I get better qaulity with the G11?
SGIBBONS 11 56 1 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2010 4:17PM
Ive just bought the G11 last week and used it whilst in Prague on a girly weekend. The camera is very tough and I am very pleased with the images i took of the architecture there. Also I believe David Ward uses the G11 and also the Panasonic Lumix LX3. Heres a link to his gallery Link thingy
geoffash26 16 2.5k United Kingdom
21 Jun 2010 8:39PM

Quote:Would I get better qaulity with the G11?

In some circumstances I will say yes. I have compared it to my MK11n and in contrasty situations the newer technology sensor handles the situation far better. Will it track a moving subject like my MK11n NO

Overall its a top camera and I'm very impressed with the results it produceses
geoffw 16 35 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2010 10:02PM
Get a Lumix G1and 14-45mm while you still can! It's a gift at around 340.
magicaxeman 13 47
26 Jun 2010 6:27PM
I have both the Canon G11 and the Panasonic G1.

I can honestly say if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted more telephoto range and interchangeable lenses (macro as well) I would have stuck exclusively to the G11.

I think canon finally got it right with this one, and if they can take the current G11 and convert it to a micro four thirds camera they are going to have a market leader that would challenge a few DSLR's

The build quality is better on the Canon, but image wise it just and I do mean only just looses out to the G1.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
26 Jun 2010 7:24PM
go for the older model the G10 . i like mine as long as you stick below iso 400. carry mine all the time now rather than a dslr Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.