Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

games console

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
28 Jan 2017 11:33AM
Hi ....I'd like to buy my grandsons 9/11 years, a full size games console
They have these hand held things with tiny screens but I remember my daughter playing "Sonic the hedgehog" on the old megadrive machine and I'd like to buy them a full size version....I'd like to keep it around 200 if possible.
....Which machine do I need to look at ?....can you still buy "Sonic" ?

....advice appreciated....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Jan 2017 11:47AM
Hey Mike, I am a bit of a retro nerd and I have an assortment of old consoles, including a Sega Mega Drive. I have a copy of Sonic 1 and hopefully Sonic 2 as well. Send me a PM and we can go from there.

Regards

Steven
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
28 Jan 2017 9:57PM
triumphv8 12 475 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2017 4:22PM
Check what their friends have got.

The alternative to the PS4 is the Xbox One, and it is aimed at a slightly younger age spread, if he's wanting to play multiplayer online games/parties, then check which is in the majority.
keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jan 2017 8:47AM
What his friends are using is very important when it comes to machines, as TV8 said. Sonic was available for a short period last Autumn on the PS4 but sold out pretty much immediately. The PS3 includes Sonic in a retro Sega games package.
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2017 1:00PM
Thanks everybody...I'm afraid much of this doesn't mean anything to me.
...bit difficult for me to talk to their friends.

Quote:The PS3 includes Sonic in a retro Sega games package.

...what does that mean please ?

I suppose I might be better going in a games shop, but frightened of being talked into the wrong thing Smile

.....thanks again.....Mike
30 Jan 2017 1:41PM
The PS3 was the previous PlayStation but although Sonic was very much the thing back in the day, your Grandsons will be interested in either FIFA or Call of Duty. Other games exist of course but these are the two that most boys think of. If they are wanna be racing drivers then it's Forza and that's only available on the X Box.

I'd sit and there and pretend you over heard two boys arguing over whether the X-Box or PS4 is best..........you'll soon know which they think is best. Buy it with FIFA and an extra controller and you'll be the best Granddad of all time.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
30 Jan 2017 7:13PM
I don't know much about PS4, but my son, 43, has the Xbox one, and plays it with his kids, 7 and 11. He has always gone with Xbox, and when I mention Sony he just passes it off. I think it has something to do with the types of games you enjoy. They play hockey quite a bit, and he told me lots of older games are made available for a low price. Have you tried asking them what they prefer, because they may already be playing games at their friends homes. My son is at work right now, but I'll call him later and see what he has to say.
30 Jan 2017 7:51PM
Our number one grandson (9 years old) was over the moon to get an Xbox one at Christmas...apparently his "social circle" ( all his school mates) are into it... Smile
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
30 Jan 2017 9:26PM
Just talked to my son and he said find out what their friends are into, and he also said that PS4 tends to push tonnes of games, in most cases quantity rather than quality. There aren't as many Xbox one games, but they're higher quality.
31 Jan 2017 12:19AM

Quote:The PS3 was the previous PlayStation but although Sonic was very much the thing back in the day, your Grandsons will be interested in either FIFA or Call of Duty. Other games exist of course but these are the two that most boys think of. If they are wanna be racing drivers then it's Forza and that's only available on the X Box.

I'd sit and there and pretend you over heard two boys arguing over whether the X-Box or PS4 is best..........you'll soon know which they think is best. Buy it with FIFA and an extra controller and you'll be the best Granddad of all time.

Even the PS4 is now three maybe four years old, prices have fallen quite a bit, I guess there now working on something 4k.
31 Jan 2017 12:50AM
The 4K PS4 Pro is available now.

PlayStation v Xbox is akin to Canon v Nikon to their respective devotees. Wink
31 Jan 2017 11:59PM
Yes so I noticed after posting the above, they have upgraded the processor or processors.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.