Gannets at Bempton

MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 4:12PM
Hi... Would someone please tell me the best month to "catch" gannets in flight at Bempton
Cliffs ? I've seen some terrific shots in the galleries and I'd like to try my hand.
....many thanks.....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

philhomer Plus
9 85 32 England
24 Mar 2016 4:32PM
hi Mike, I visited in June and it was quite busy birdwise but dependent upon how far North you are you may wish to look at Bass Rock
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 4:41PM
I have seen some photographs taken recently so from now onwards.
I went in July and the grasses where so long they obscured some of the views. I'd think May might be a good month to go.
You need the wind from the east for the best photographs.
There are boat trips from Bridlington to see the Gannets diving which is on my 'to do' list.
georgehopkins 11 112 England
24 Mar 2016 4:55PM
I would say late May to Early June they are fairly busy nest building by then, if you want to make it easier for flights try and choose a windy day, the Gannets hover a bit to avoid a crash landing near the grassy areas, they fly in a bit slower giving you more time to allow panning into your frame.
Also if you go in June you will get the Puffins as well in the cliff rock burrows.
24 Mar 2016 7:00PM
Try and go mid-week and not in the school holidays- the parking is easier and less pushing for a good spot to set up your tripod

Steve
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 598 England
24 Mar 2016 7:10PM
Went there in June last year, plenty of opportunities at various points along the path. May would also be a good time.

As with all things wildlife you do take a chance on how active they are at any particular time.
barbarahirst 11 27 12 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 7:37PM
every time we have gone there have been great opportunities..nest building love making feeding chicks...you name it
but get walking from ther towards flamborough...you will see their daily flight patterns
make the most of when you go!!!
enjoy
User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2016 8:48PM

We visit several times a year every year. Different things happen in different months.

June-August are peak times, but you can see Gamnets flying past most of the year.

There is much more to see than Gammets Smile
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
27 Mar 2016 10:51AM
Thanks everyone, there appears to be mixed opinions on the best time to visit.
I'm gonna try to go during the first week in May If that is not the school holidays, and hope that the wind is from the east.
cheers....Mike
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2016 11:33AM
I am reading this thread with great interest as I have never been to Bempton Cliffs and I have seen some stunning images from there, does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to stay as I am at least 300 miles South?

Peter.
georgehopkins 11 112 England
27 Mar 2016 12:12PM
I usually stay on the south side of Scarborough, its a nice scenic drive around 20 to 25 mins to Bempton, most of the places around Bempton are caravan parks and a couple of inns which might be limited. Would suggest parking up at Bempton before 9-00am before the crowds appear.
Its worthwhile visiting Thornwick Bay and North Landing as well for the cliff scenery and blue sea.
27 Mar 2016 3:02PM
Many thanks George for the info' ...😀
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Mar 2016 9:20PM
Bridlington area would be the best bet. It's 15 mins from Bempton and 10 from Flamboro' plus it's the south side of Bempton and on a quite drive from the end of the M62, which after a few hours on the M1 is a bonus.
28 Mar 2016 9:33AM
Thanks Keith for the info' I like the "quiet drive" so necessary after motorways today ...
28 Mar 2016 12:25PM
Re-reading this thread I think that I will visit Flamborough Head sometime early June almost certainly from a Monday to Thursday or Friday; I also like the idea of the boat trips from Bridlington to see the Gannets diving.

Peter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.