Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

KarenFB Plus
13 5.3k 174 England
6 Aug 2019 7:55AM

Quote:I think cats go where food is, alive or neighbour.

Mmm. Well, we know it's not the neighbours (the nearest being half a mile away, and Paddy being a scaredy-cat where strangers are concerned!). Admittedly, when he does come back, his belly is usually round and he stinks of rabbit!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB Plus
13 5.3k 174 England
6 Aug 2019 8:15PM
A bitter/sweet moment a few days ago, I chopped down and removed a gorgeous shrub (which the bees loved in early Spring) and a honeysuckle. Both had got old, big and unruly! To replace them I've bought a Phlox, 2 Dwarf Buddleia and 2 Hebes.

They all look spendid in the place where the old shrubs were and even better, no sooner had I finished watering the Buddleia in when a Silver-washed Fritillary visited for a feast!! Exciting times to come, no longer will I have to stand at the bottom of the yard on top of a pile of rubble to take photos of the butterflies!

Now, where are those blessed Painted Ladies!! Wink
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
6 Aug 2019 9:19PM

Quote:

Now, where are those blessed Painted Ladies!! Wink

All in my garden. Smile
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
7 Aug 2019 12:15AM
Cut a tree down and put up a cats bird feeder on the stump Smile

599_1565133137.jpg

Very eco friendly, erected two old corner shelves into the shape of a leaf and no longer needing to buy the Go Cat, less cardboard to recycle Smile Smile
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
7 Aug 2019 12:38AM

Quote:Cut a tree down and put up a cats bird feeder on the stump Smile

599_1565133137.jpg

Very eco friendly, erected two old corner shelves into the shape of a leaf and no longer needing to buy the Go Cat, less cardboard to recycle Smile Smile

I joke by the way, my two cats are a bit skittish and are terrified of red kites, they would have to be very thirsty before jumping up there.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2019 10:11AM
Feeding time....

DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2019 10:57AM
I think an unexpected side effect of bird table and feeding is much less spiders.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
8 Aug 2019 1:15PM
What sort of bird is that, Dave?
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2019 1:50PM

Quote:What sort of bird is that, Dave?

Young Starling I think Chris.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2019 1:56PM
I think we have around 40 birds in and around the garden this afternoon.
Numerous sparrows and finch, the conifer hedge is alive with activity as they dive in and out to the bird table.
Plus a couple of families of Blackbirds & Starlings.
Then they all scatter when the pigeons arrive.
They've not landed but lots of swifts or swallows are flying around too.
Much better than watching TV.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
8 Aug 2019 6:44PM
How lovely, Dave. I'm surprised I didn't recognise the starling seeing as I have a gang of about 20 regularly visit.

I've had a few different birds lately - a jay, 2 woodies and a sparrowhawk. I have the regularly visitors like the group of sparrows - I love them, they're so busy and noisy and they live in next door's bushes. I get a few blue tits and robins, but I've not seen a great tit or greenfinch for quite a while.

I used to get about 30 feral pigeons visit so I had to stop putting food on the ground, which also had the unfortunate effect of putting off the blackbirds who are ground feeders, but I have seen a pair this year so they are getting food. I get a family of 7 ring-necked doves daily; they wait on the cherry tree until I come out. They've got me well trained. I also regularly get families of woodpigeons who are loving the berries on the laurel bushes at the moment.

I keep saying I;m going to stop feeding the birds as it makes such a mess around the feeders, but after 20 years I don't think that's going to happen. I'll just have to put up with a bit more garden clearing work. I couldn't imagine a garden without birds.
Squirrel 12 461 6 England
10 Aug 2019 7:31PM
I've been planning and saving my pennies for the past three years, I had to remove a magnolia from the front lawn because the roots got into one of the soakaways and caused all sorts of problems. I currently have a raised pond approx 2mx1m. The two Iris pseudacorus are busting out of it....... so the skip arrives monday, pond digging starts tuesday. 6mx4m to a depth of 60cm. I can't go deeper because of the shared mains drain that runs diagonally across my garden. I spent the last two days pegging it all out...............last night the badger came and dug out half the stakes.....isn't nature wonderful.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
12 Aug 2019 11:03AM
According to Monty now's the time to prune the bushes, so I'm glad I did that yesterday as it's a bit wet today. Then I weeded and trimmed in the back garden so everything's looking nice and tidy today. Five bags of garden stuff to be collected, Very satisfying.

I don't usually prune until all the garden spiders have finished, but I got in early this year so they've still got plenty of time to weave their webs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.