WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
2 Jun 2020 11:25AM
Well, I've not seen a Jay in many years, but this morning a juvenile (I think) appeared in my garden and for a short while actually landed onto one of the feeders. I missed that shot as the camera was upstairs, but I got another couple for the record. We've recently had a visiting Jackdaw but that's harder to capture as it blends into the tree too well.

84915_1591093476.jpg

84915_1591093489.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 9:06AM
Nearly a month ago I set out to chart the development of some Blackbird nesting attempt in one of our bushes.
They are regular nesters over the last few years in the same bush. Hopefully another attempt will be made when the feeding of these young ones is complete in a week or so.

Stating 13th May the eggs had hatched and the female went for some well earned exercise. She'd just completed her own lockdown keeping the eggs warm. The weather has turned here so not sure I'll see much more of them as they are only a week or so from being ready to leave the adults.

Of the five in the nest, three made it out (I know one fell foul to next doors cat when it went the wrong way having made it from nest to fence) and one disappeared over the last couple of day. I saw a Crow in the garden the same morning. The remaining 2 are looking quite well fed and seem to like the fat balls I put out under our conifers.

bricurtis Plus
15 2.3k 50 England
4 Jun 2020 9:50AM
You have been very close and right over the top of the nest for those young in the nest images and fully exposed it.

Here are some reasons why you should not be photographing nesting birds.
You really should be more aware of RSPB info.

If you are close to a nest you could risk:

Causing an adult bird incubating eggs to leave the nest and abandon it permanently
Preventing an adult bird from entering the nest to feed its chicks
Damaging the habitat around the nest making it more obvious to a predator
Causing young to become frightened and flee the nest before they’re fully developed, affecting their chances of survival.
altitude50 16 18.7k United Kingdom
5 Jun 2020 11:41AM
This bird - pigeon? or dove has been hanging around for a couple of days. It has a blue ring on it's leg. No chance of capturing it. I wondered if it is a racing pigeon? Picture taken from about 30 metres.21670_1591353678.jpg
bricurtis Plus
15 2.3k 50 England
5 Jun 2020 2:28PM
Racing pigeon owners often put a coloured ring on one leg of a bird for sex ID.
So blue could be a boy.Smile
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Jun 2020 6:15PM
Usually two rings. One with its reg number on (which can be checked on the RPA website) and another with a chip inside for recording race time.
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
7 Jun 2020 11:02AM
Am now having to shake our laburnum tree regularly as the woodpigeons are definitely trying to nest there. I can't be doing with all that mess again. I'm sure there are plenty of other places for them.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2020 5:39PM
We must be good neighbours.
The Blackbirds are using their nest for a second clutch.

Mrs BB is sat on the nest warming the new clutch of eggs. While Mr BB finishes of teaching the surviving youngsters, from the May brood, the niceties of food and flight.
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
25 Jun 2020 9:08PM
I haven't seen one wasp yet this year. Do they have a season?
I thought i would see hundreds as our cherry tree is dripping with fruit, much of it fermented and dropped to the lawn.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2020 9:39PM

Quote:I haven't seen one wasp yet this year.

Now you mention it, neither have I.
Bees are around and Butterflies but no Wasps.

chavender Plus
9 451 1 France
26 Jun 2020 7:44AM
We`ve lots of wasps and bees here in my part of France but not as many butterflies as usual Sad
bricurtis Plus
15 2.3k 50 England
26 Jun 2020 10:46AM

I saw 3 that stung me Sad last Monday, blxxdy painful.
2 on 1 arm 1 on other wrist,swellings for 2 days.
Accidentally disturbed an unknown under ground nest, they swarmed at me.
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
26 Jun 2020 10:58AM

Quote:

I saw 3 that stung me Sad last Monday, blxxdy painful.
2 on 1 arm 1 on other wrist,swellings for 2 days.
Accidentally disturbed an unknown under ground nest, they swarmed at me.

Oooh, painful. Sad
You must have our share. Smile
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
26 Jun 2020 1:13PM
Talk of the devil, i saw one today.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.