Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
12 Jul 2020 10:07PM
Yes a friend of mine across the road mentioned flying ants. Luckily they didn't come into my garden in the couple of hours I was out there. Had this chap for company for some of the time. Smile

9207_1594588007.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
18 Jul 2020 1:45PM
Just snapped this Jersey Tiger Moth on my laurel bush. I thought it was a butterfly when it flew in as it had lovely orange wings, but when it landed I could see it was a moth, but with very distinctive markings. Apparently it usually lives on the south coast so why it's turned up in east London I've no idea.

84915_1595076343.jpg
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
20 Jul 2020 6:36AM
Not actually in the garden but a noise that has been absent for many months is gradually increasing but not quite at the same frequency yet.

Aircraft taking off / landing at Gatwick Airport.

I guess for the industries involved that its a good thing but for those that live under / close to the flight paths not so ?
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.4k 7 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2020 6:31PM
Nearly put this in the Grumpy Thread......

Damn Pigeons have stripped two Fuchsia of the flowers.
Two new ones planted in June were in full bloom this morning - NOT NOW.

There must have been 15 or more helping themselves when I looked out.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
23 Jul 2020 6:48PM

Quote:Nearly put this in the Grumpy Thread......

Damn Pigeons have stripped two Fuchsia of the flowers.
Two new ones planted in June were in full bloom this morning - NOT NOW.

There must have been 15 or more helping themselves when I looked out.

Plant shamrock. They'll have the flowers off of them in double quick time. Or laurel. They love the berries. My fuchsias are all ok.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
29 Jul 2020 8:26PM
I've been having a bit of a clear up in the garden today, and having lifted a few pots, I'm amazed at how many dozens of woodlice are living underneath them. I know there is a woodlice spider as I've had them in the garden, (a rather attractive red colour), but i was wondering if anything else feeds on woodlice. Mind you, they're pretty hard to get at as they live under stuff.
KarenFB Plus
14 5.4k 176 England
29 Jul 2020 8:31PM
I was curious, so I 'Googled' and found out:-

There are about 30 species of woodlice in Britain, which range from pink to brown to grey in colour. They are eaten by many other species including common toads, common shrews, ground beetles, harvestmen and by some spiders!

SlowSong Plus
12 9.1k 30 England
29 Jul 2020 8:39PM

Quote:I was curious, so I 'Googled' and found out:-

There are about 30 species of woodlice in Britain, which range from pink to brown to grey in colour. They are eaten by many other species including common toads, common shrews, ground beetles, harvestmen and by some spiders!

Well I never! I've only got the bog standard grey ones - which are quite enough. Luckily i have no shrews or toads or, thank goodness, harvestmen, but the woodlice spiders must be getting enormous. They'll be thumping around the garden as if they're wearing hobnailed boots with all the juicy food around. Smile
KarenFB Plus
14 5.4k 176 England
31 Jul 2020 6:25PM
Not exactly the garden, but still a bit of nature! We often get wasps and hornets flying down the chimney into our woodburner (which has been unlit since about April). Today it was a small bat (possibly a baby)!!!! After catching it in my pond net I found a dark corner out in the barn, to let it recover (when I went out to check on it an hour later it had gone). No, I didn't take any photos, the poor thing was stressed enough without me pointing a lens at it!

We knew they roosted up in the roof, but the woodburner is a step too far! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.