Black Friday Deals For Photographers

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

22 Sep 2020 7:49AM
A general sigh of relief - 35mm of rain over two days.
The last time it rained was June 22nd.
Most small herbaceous plants gave up weeks ago and even well established shrubs and trees have suffered visibly. Shallower rooted plants such as rhodos I have kept watered thanks to a well. Areas that have not been dug over recently such as parts of the lawns for example have cracks 3cm wide - that presumably means damage to roots of trees ? We'll see what the spring brings.
The next job is to see if the lawn mower still works, it's not been needed for quite a while !
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
26 Oct 2020 7:22AM
Just been down the garden to fill the bird feeders, only to find huge holes all over the lawn. Sad It must be foxes, but I've never seen digging like this before. Looking for worms I expect.
bricurtis Plus
15 2.4k 50 England
26 Oct 2020 1:02PM

Quote:Just been down the garden to fill the bird feeders, only to find huge holes all over the lawn. Sad It must be foxes, but I've never seen digging like this before. Looking for worms I expect.

More likely to be a Badger - we have had that problem and I saw one when security light came on.
Neighbour has had to fill a hole with rocks - a huge hole under a Bush.
philstan 4 495 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2020 3:56PM

Quote:Just been down the garden to fill the bird feeders, only to find huge holes all over the lawn. Sad It must be foxes, but I've never seen digging like this before. Looking for worms I expect.

Had a family of foxes visit the garden last year and the youngsters had a good time digging in the lawn - it became quite a game when I backfilled the holes only to see them dig out the filling!
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
9 Nov 2020 4:59PM
Bees are still feeding on the few flowers still around in the garden. A bit late. It's so warm today i sat in the garden wearing just a t-shirt.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
19 Nov 2020 2:59PM
Is it really winter? My garden is still in bloom with bees flying around.

84915_1605797891.jpg

84915_1605797905.jpg

84915_1605797911.jpg

84915_1605797917.jpg

84915_1605797932.jpg

84915_1605797942.jpg

84915_1605797951.jpg

KarenFB Plus
14 5.5k 179 England
20 Nov 2020 7:07AM
Did anyone else notice we didn't get the usual influx of Ladybirds gathering for their hibernation? I've not seen many this year at all!
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
20 Nov 2020 9:35AM
I love feeding the birds, but I counted 18 doves on the feeders this morning - they're breeding like, errr, doves. I don't know how to stop them. Unfortunately, you can't choose your wildlife.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 11:14AM

Quote:I love feeding the birds, but I counted 18 doves on the feeders this morning - they're breeding like, errr, doves. I don't know how to stop them. Unfortunately, you can't choose your wildlife.

Chris
I had a bird box that I cut half open. From the pre-drilled hole an arched opening.
Putting seed inside always smaller birds access but not pigeons and doves.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
20 Nov 2020 11:39AM

Quote:
Quote:I love feeding the birds, but I counted 18 doves on the feeders this morning - they're breeding like, errr, doves. I don't know how to stop them. Unfortunately, you can't choose your wildlife.

Chris
I had a bird box that I cut half open. From the pre-drilled hole an arched opening.
Putting seed inside always smaller birds access but not pigeons and doves.

I'm trying to visualise that. Which way did you cut the bird box?
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 2:42PM
Chris,

Turn to existing hole into the top of an arch way curving down to just above the floor inside - keeps the seed dry in the rain too.

2nd from left on this page - but without the perch;

https://homesthetics.net/diy-bird-feeder/
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
20 Nov 2020 3:52PM
Ah, I see. It's a nice idea but I think the starlings would have no trouble in emptying that in a flash. I have trays fixed to the bottom of the feeders to catch the mess, but these act as a platform for the larger birds. I might just take them off and let the rubbish fall to the ground. I do put a plastic groundsheet under the feeders.
Tks Dave
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2020 5:58PM
All I do now is throw a couple of fat balls per day under the trees/shrubs for the natural foraging processes to find them.
Blackbirds, Sparrows, Robins and the the occasion Blue Tit seem OK and unless one knocks them into view the Starlings seem to miss them (for the most part antways).
KarenFB Plus
14 5.5k 179 England
26 Nov 2020 10:43AM
I've seen squirrels burying their food, and Jays etc. But this morning, whilst sat in the kitchen having coffee, I watched a very industrious little Marsh Tit hiding something. I'd only just filled the feeders (around the front of the house) with sunflower hearts (expensive, but less messy then sunflowers in their shells!), and I saw him appear many times with a mouthful and hide them away in the wall (at the back of the house)!! No wonder the feeders empty so quickly!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.