Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

14 Aug 2021 5:17PM

Our hedgehogs are still visiting nightly, but it appears Mum is gradually driving her offspring away, which is natural, We are hoping he/she/it or variations, will set up in the back garden as an independant, made sure there are choices for a winter hibernation, so fingers crossed.
The Japanese Maple is Brown at present, should be red by now, too much rain. The Sumac has sent out lots of suckers so many new shoots, thinking about a Sumac groove at present.
Bramble is rampant, but, as we love the fruit, not being too vicious at the moment, but scratched arms are a hazard .
The biting insects are back in force, covered in a plethora of different bites, par for enjoying the gardenSadSad
Finally managed to trim the 10ft high Leylandii hedge, and mulch all the trimmings, then cut front and back lawns.
Now enjoying a Large glass of Mcewans" Champion " Premium beer, first sup since Christmas 2020. Most enjoyable
Hope everyone is enjoying their garden time too,
David.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
24 Aug 2021 6:51PM
The doves suddenly flew off in all directions in a panic this afternoon. It could only mean one thing - a sparrowhawk. One unlucky dove was just a bit too slow and was caught in mid-air by the hawk, about 10 feet in front of me. The hawk carried it off into next door's garden and i lost sight of the birds. It all happened in a flash and all that was left in my garden was a load of feathers. Amazing to see this so close up.
chataignier Plus
8 204 10 France
27 Aug 2021 12:49PM
The grass is growing again. Summer heat and dry weather usually stop it almost entirely here in july/august, but this year the damp weather has restarted growth much earlier than usual. I'm obliged to cut the grass every 4-5 days and the local farmers are taking another cut of hay.
KarenFB Plus
15 5.8k 183 England
27 Aug 2021 6:54PM
There seems to be a lot of spiders and their webs about at the moment (a bit early for the usual Autumn influx)! I've just spent quite a while catching and wiping down the feathers of a young Chiffchaff, which were really stuck together - poor thing also had a small tick on its eyelid and a deer louse! After giving it a drink of water and placing it up in the branches of our weeping cherry, I've not seen it since, so hopefully it's on its way, safe and well!
28 Aug 2021 5:53PM
I had to google chiffchaff this morning to remind myself and found the description on wikipedia had a sound of the chiffchaff you could play, that was quite a lovely thing.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
22 Sep 2021 9:44AM
For the second night running, we've seen signs of digging in the garden. We live in an urban area, surrounded by houses and back gardens, but this big hole is appearing under the fence as if something is burrowing. It can't get through because of rocks in next door's garden, but we wonder if it's a badger. There was earth sprayed out everywhere. Any ideas?
It's far too big a hole for foxes, which usual just dig up the lawn looking for worms.
84915_1632300219.jpg

Unfortunately my trail camera doesn't work so I can't watch out for whatever it it.
bricurtis Plus
16 2.5k 51 England
23 Sep 2021 6:38PM
Think you are right re badger Chris. We have had several large holes scraped out under our wooden fence into my neighbours garden. Also one panel had a split slat and a Badger smashed it's way through that.
In neighbours garden he has a shrub where on 3 nights recently huge holes appeared and a shrubs roots had been eaten. He got some huge stones , bigger than buckets to block them off.
Lots of gardens interlocked at the rear so plenty of areas where badgers and foxes are pretty active.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
23 Sep 2021 7:06PM
We thought we saw it this morning but it ran off very quickly when it heard me open the door. Whatever it was jumped over the fence into my neighbour's garden using some logs. I didn't think badgers could run so fast or jump. Didn't notice any white fur stripes, but it was dark.
petebfrance 9 3.1k France
23 Sep 2021 7:54PM
Not so sure about badgers not running and jumping. We get regular visits (and messed-up lawn) from one (or more?) and I did see one once. I shone a torch on it and it ran away, climbed (well more jumped up) up the 'wall' (a collapsed heap of stone against a 4footish earth bank at the back of the garden) in a surprisingly agile manner. Rather similar to the way that cats go over the same spot, but quicker if anything. He (or she) move, well, in a rather agile manner - quite impressive tbh.
themak 8 1.0k Scotland
23 Sep 2021 9:11PM
An occasional visitor - don't usually see it though.

SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
24 Sep 2021 11:02AM
No digging last night. Hopefully, whatever it was decided that it couldn't get through the rocks and cement blocking its way.
24 Sep 2021 12:26PM
I grew some tomatoes from some Lidl salad tomatoes, my god what a mistake, don’t get me wrong it was easy and there’s lots off them -and I mean lots but if I do it again I need to make sure I know what type I planted - these were obviously vine ones and now have have my
washing line strung up with them!!
KarenFB Plus
15 5.8k 183 England
24 Sep 2021 4:39PM

Quote:I grew some tomatoes from some Lidl salad tomatoes, my god what a mistake, donít get me wrong it was easy and thereís lots off them -and I mean lots but if I do it again I need to make sure I know what type I planted - these were obviously vine ones and now have have my

Grin Grin Grin Grin
SteveAitch 3 65 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2021 11:19AM

Quote:I grew some tomatoes from some Lidl salad tomatoes, my god what a mistake, donít get me wrong it was easy and thereís lots off them -and I mean lots but if I do it again I need to make sure I know what type I planted - these were obviously vine ones and now have have my

Yeah, but how do they taste? Good enough to be worth getting a second washing line for?
25 Sep 2021 12:32PM
They are very good but not sure about the washing line lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.