Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Garden Diary - What's Going On In Yours?

SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
21 Jun 2014 6:36PM
I did read that most bites occurred when people squashed them by mistake or they were trapped in clothing. Very frightening. Did they find the spider to get an accurate diagnosis?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.2k 6 England
21 Jun 2014 6:44PM
No she didn't do anything about the bite while she was away, we found out what it was when she went to the doctors on the Friday.

We get plenty of these at home anyway so she already knew what it was.
SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
21 Jun 2014 7:28PM
Have just been out and used the hose to water the garden. TBH, it's no bother, it just sits there, so unless I do something stupid I'll just leave it to get on with its life. Now I know what it is I feel more comfortable about it. Smile
Ade_Osman 12 4.5k 36 England
22 Jun 2014 10:51AM
Been very busy painting the exterior walls of our new property, so haven't done much in the way of photography in the last week or so. However, have noticed one or two baby hedgehogs running around feeding at night, so will put the camera traps out tonight and see if I can cobble together some sort of video over the next few days Smile
SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
29 Jun 2014 6:13PM
Have just got a good look at one of the two juvenile wood pigeons that have been nesting in our laburnum tree. Obviously enjoying a good drop of rain. I think these are about 3 weeks old and are doing a lot of flapping about but I've not actually seen them leave the tree yet. Mum's still around anyway. Really cute. Smile

SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
29 Jun 2014 7:07PM
And a few minutes later, the first fledgling. Smile

SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
30 Jun 2014 6:29PM
This morning I had the sad experience of seeing the rat actually catch a juvenile starling on the ground and run off with the poor bird screeching. It was so horrid I finally got round to setting the rat trap. I HoPE we'll get it and not some poor unsuspecting creature but if it doesn't work we'll have to get the rat man in. I've never had this problem before and it's certainly upset all the bird feeding.
I wonder if this is normal rat behavior. I've not heard of them catching live prey before.
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.2k 6 England
30 Jun 2014 10:31PM
I have more Muntjac deer than I did this time last year, lots and lots of barking Smile a few new babies with possibly a few more on the way.

This one is not one bit timid and eats from my hand.

SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
1 Jul 2014 7:09AM
Aw, wanna swap Paul? Smile
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.2k 6 England
1 Jul 2014 3:01PM
Bill Oddie has to go in search of them.

And I get them banging on my back door Smile
SlowSong Plus
7 5.5k 29 England
2 Jul 2014 9:25PM
I think it was flying ant day today.
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.2k 6 England
2 Jul 2014 9:47PM
The last few nights our cats have been snacking on these, they fetch them in, let them fly around for a bit then eat them, I`m guessing there Elephant hawk moths but I`m no expert Smile

brian1208 Plus
12 10.8k 12 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2014 11:00PM
yep, Elephant hawk Moth (looks like the male from the large antennae)

(I once found a pupa of one in the garden and was determined to photograph it hatching so sat with it until 3 in the morning. Went to be and got up 3 hours later, when it had hatched - but I got some good shots of it expanding its wings Smile )
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.2k 6 England
2 Jul 2014 11:25PM

Quote:I once found a pupa

So had the cats, they had been fetching them in as well Smile
Squirrel 8 419 4 England
13 Jul 2014 9:24AM

Morning all.

Berberis Sawfly caterpillar (Arge berberidis)

It is a newish pest first found in UK in 2002. It also affects Mahonia. Berberis especially the purple and pink leaf varieties seem to be the favourite. A heavy infestation can completely de foliate the plant in a matter of days. Recovery is slow but in most cases half the plant dies back.
The Royal Horticultural Society are currently doing a survey on the spread of this pest. Have a look around your garden and if you find it send details to the RHS.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.