Genre of photography...

clicknimagine Plus
12 936 105 India
27 Nov 2021 4:44PM
How many genres of photography are there, do you have any definite answer...I have searched through the net, some sites are claiming around 72 genres...but honestly speaking i am confused...Please have a look at the image below, how can this image be catagorised as belonging to any particular genre...

This image was taken during our trip to Rajasthan...is it a travel photography/ street photography/ transport photography/ landscape photography or something else...
Dave_Canon 15 2.1k United Kingdom
27 Nov 2021 5:17PM
I have never tried to count them myself so googled this and Adobe think that the number is 28. This makes reasonable sense and Adobe lists them. Others claim it is just 7. However, does it really matter and why do you need to know. If it is for entering competitions, I would have entered your shot above in architecture though I agree it could be travel.

Dave
clicknimagine Plus
12 936 105 India
27 Nov 2021 5:22PM
Thanks Dave for your thought, i have also found a site claiming 106 genres , a bit confusing not that...
SlowSong Plus
13 10.0k 30 England
27 Nov 2021 5:44PM
My first thought was that this image was Architecture.
saltireblue Plus
11 12.6k 79 Norway
27 Nov 2021 6:10PM

Quote:However, does it really matter and why do you need to know.

I don't think Somnath needs to know, Dave. But it is an interesting question - a bit like defining the species. When does a new variant become a sub-species of an existing one instead of being named as a new species?
dark_lord Plus
17 2.9k 795 England
27 Nov 2021 6:12PM
I irst thought Arcitecture, then Night photography.

There are so many crossovers, for example a lot of travel photography falls into Landscape and Street.
How big in the frame does a person have to be before a Cityscape becomes Street?

Landscape is very general, and some would include Seascape as a sub cateory so that brings a whole host of other questions.

Is Fine Art a genre, and what about Monochrome?

It's an interesting exercise but one doomed to be tied up in knots.

Let's think of it another way. Consider all possible categories that could apply to a picture. Those would be the star of your keyword list if you were tagging images for a picture library or search engine.
SlowSong Plus
13 10.0k 30 England
27 Nov 2021 6:44PM
I've often regretted not keywording sufficiently, but a comprehensive list would be vast. Helpful though, if you've got the time.
27 Nov 2021 10:11PM
I use Keywords in LR and use my own list. I have 41 top level many of which have sublevels. For example the Keyword "places" has 26 sublevels. Night Photography has no sublevels. I try not to keep adding to the key words so have probably not added more than a couple for 5 years or so. My club has a monthly on-line competition which has different genre each month. Members judge it themselves but cannot vote for their own images. The genres do change a little from year to year. I have ensured that my keywording generally covers these so it is easy to find suitable entries. Interesting that sometimes the organiser has used a subject like Fine Art which has confused most members. Abstract is also not well understood. The organiser does consider that Monochrome is a genre.

Dave
Carabosse 18 41.9k 270 England
28 Nov 2021 1:00AM
"Every photograph has its own genre"...................... discuss! Tongue
clicknimagine Plus
12 936 105 India
28 Nov 2021 2:59AM
So you are also confused like meGrinGrinGrin...
28 Nov 2021 10:20AM

Quote:"Every photograph has its own genre"...................... discuss! Tongue

Yes I see your point except I would modify to say genres as I take any subject. When entering competitions, you have to match the criteria hence the value of being able to easily locate images by such criteria using keywords etc.

Dave
Carabosse 18 41.9k 270 England
28 Nov 2021 10:45AM
Keywording is a bore and one of the reasons I abandoned stock photography.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 133 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2021 3:58PM
Genres are just another form of categorisation. Sometimes helpful, but sometimes not.

Dangers of categorisation:

1. Compression: the risk of seeing all of something within a category without giving due consideration as to the borders of the category. E.g. how the category is defined in relation to other concepts.

2. Amplification: stereotyping the differences between category types.

3. Discrimination: favouring one category at the expense of others.

4. Fossilisation: closing off the opportunity to expand our horizons.

Jus a bit of nonsense for a Monday... Wink

Adam
GwB Plus
1 84 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2021 4:23PM
I dint want to know until I saw this post, cant stop thinking about it now.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.