The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Get Creative in 2020 and enter the RHS Photographic Competition

6 Jan 2020 10:51AM
The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) is calling on the public to get out in the garden and get photographing as it marks one month until its annual Photographic Competition closes to entries.

Professional and amateur photographers can enter their work across nine different categories including Urban Gardening, All About Plants, and Welcoming Garden Wildlife with a range of prizes up for the grabs. The overall competition winner will walk away with £5,000 while the latest camera equipment and 20 other cash prizes are also up for grabs.

In addition, category winners will get to see their work on show at the RHS Botanical Art and Photography Show in London (17-18 April 2020) and later in the year at RHS Gardens (RHS Garden Wisley in Surrey, RHS Garden Rosemoor in Devon, RHS Garden Harlow Carr in Yorkshire and RHS Garden Hyde Hall in Essex), and in RHS members’ magazine The Garden.

Last year, overall adult winner, Richard Caldwell brought a new angle to the competition with his aerial photograph of a meticulously organised community garden in Laguna Woods, LA, which was captured using a drone-mounted camera. While, overall winner in the under 18’s category Jake Kneale wowed judges with his ethereal image of a spider’s web in a Wiltshire meadow.

Speaking about the competition, Jake said: “It was a great privilege to see my photo amongst so many beautiful images in this prestigious competition. It was a good way to focus my photography around particular techniques and subjects and I really enjoyed widening my scope to meadows, flowers and fungi.’

RHS Competition Chair of Judging and Editor of The Garden magazine, Chris Young, said: “January is the perfect time of year to get outside and capture atmospheric and beautiful photographs. Whether it’s a clear blue sky on a frosty morning or the emergence of snowdrops and hellebores in a winter garden, there is plenty to inspire people to get out and to get photographing.”

Entries should be submitted online at rhs.org.uk/photocomp by 10 am on Friday 31 January 2020. Winners will be announced in April on the RHS website.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.