Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


getting noticed here at epz


davidbuller 6 5 1 United States
3 Oct 2009 1:10AM
So I'm relatively new to photography, and I'm quite new to ephotozine. I love it though! What a great site for a great hobby.

Here's my question how does one get noticed here on epz? Posting photos of course, but I'm lucky to get a couple dozen views on a particular photo. So how do people end up with reader's choice awards? Do people often just view portfolios of photographers they're familiar with?

I don't mean this to be a really self-serving question, but I'm just a bit curious about how all this works here at epz. Thanks everyone! Smile I just realized I've never really "introduced" myself in the forums, so I'm going to go over to the proper forum and do so now...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat Plus
11 16.4k 2 Canada
3 Oct 2009 1:19AM
David, keep posting your photos, the views will come. Your question has been asked many times on here, as you can imagine, so don't be put off if some of the responses are a little short. Also, you are in quite a different time zone, as I am, from the vast majority of members, who are in the UK. Just keep plugging away, and you'll get noticed.
davidbuller 6 5 1 United States
3 Oct 2009 1:21AM

Quote:David, keep posting your photos, the views will come. Your question has been asked many times on here, as you can imagine, so don't be put off if some of the responses are a little short. Also, you are in quite a different time zone, as I am, from the vast majority of members, who are in the UK. Just keep plugging away, and you'll get noticed.


I guess I should have searched through the older posts for this topic -- thanks!
Bucephalas69 6 279 Wales
3 Oct 2009 2:15AM
The answwer is obvious!
When you first "Join", upload the best you have to elicit votes etc. Later, when you renew your membership, you can still only upload 1 photo a day!! Even as a paid member!
I'm wondering why i renewed my membership when there are a million other sites out there!
Bucephalas69 6 279 Wales
3 Oct 2009 2:15AM
Why do i pay?? Someone tell me pls!
StrayCat Plus
11 16.4k 2 Canada
3 Oct 2009 2:38AM
As an experiment, and to satisfy your own mind, leave the site for a month. Go to some of the million sites out there, and see if you are any happier there than here. You do not pay for votes, not unless some of the members are charging now. It's a combination of factors really; time of day; attraction of the thumbnail in the gallery; time of year; quality of images; personal taste; your activity in the gallery, etc, etc. If you are active in the gallery, and comment on folks images, they just might click on your name in the comments section of their image, and do the same for you; it's not a crime, and it's not a clique; it's appreciation.

You pay for the additional benefits provided to E2 members, one being the ability to upload larger images; try going back to 500 px images again.
davidbuller 6 5 1 United States
3 Oct 2009 3:01AM

Quote:As an experiment, and to satisfy your own mind, leave the site for a month. Go to some of the million sites out there, and see if you are any happier there than here. You do not pay for votes, not unless some of the members are charging now. It's a combination of factors really; time of day; attraction of the thumbnail in the gallery; time of year; quality of images; personal taste; your activity in the gallery, etc, etc. If you are active in the gallery, and comment on folks images, they just might click on your name in the comments section of their image, and do the same for you; it's not a crime, and it's not a clique; it's appreciation.

You pay for the additional benefits provided to E2 members, one being the ability to upload larger images; try going back to 500 px images again.



I'm not really sure which one of us you were quoting, but either way, I agree. I've joined a couple other photo sites (one other one was paid and offered "critiques") yet none have come close to the level of feedback and quality here at epz.
NevP 9 853 13 Canada
3 Oct 2009 4:01AM
You've recently joined, and already you have managed to get to the crux of the site............
Hehehehehe.
A belated welcome.
minicooper 7 536 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2009 8:08AM
Simple realy. Keep posting photos, take part in the forums, vote and comment on others' images. Take great images. In short you'll get back as much you put in. Go have a look at pf of someone who gets lots of votes and go to their first page and you'll see they started with very little at first,
DOGSBODY 6 1.4k 30 England
3 Oct 2009 9:29AM
I am reminded of an old cinema advert that used to say

"He who whispers down a well about the goods he has to sell. will not make as many dollars as he who climbs a tree and hollers."

In other words, participate in the galleries as much as you can by voting and commenting on other peoples' pictures. If you show an interest in what others are doing they will look at what you are doing.

I looked at your portfolio and liked what I saw but this site is so large that it is very easy to go unnoticed unless you put yourself about a bit.

Keep posting and good luck.
redstag Plus
9 100 15 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2009 9:31AM
Ask yourself why you take pictures, are you doing it for your own satisfaction or to please others. That will help you to decide what you want to get out of the site.
If you are on the site to improve your images then take a wander through the gallery, look at other peoples pics and tell them what you like/don't like about there images, then use this as inspiration for your own work. You don't have to click to comment and you don't have to comment when you click, just enjoy it.
If you are kind enough to look at my pf, you will notice that my early shots struggled to get into double figures. I don't want to sound smug, but now I regularly get RCs (though not at the moment! Wink)
Set yourself challenges to improve the clicks you get each time you post, but bear in mind, thumbnails need to be strong to get noticed, you will often see heavily saturated images and bold compositions do wll because they get noticed, but quality does out, the really good togs on here do get the clicks they deserve. I remember Bread n shutter raised this issue by posting a very quirky image, he now has ECs coming out of his ears and a superb PF. So keep the faith!
Jon
EleanorMaw 5 110 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2009 9:42AM
I use a camera to record what I see, it's like a note pad, if I could take a pic just by blinking an eye I would not have to bother owning a camera, so any camera equipment I buy has to be of use to me, to me the lens is the most important part of photography, it's better to have a good lens on a Nikon D40 than a not so good lens on a Nikon D300s, the biggest pleasure I get from going out with a camera is the hunt for an interesting sight and recording it.
ade_mcfade Plus
11 15.2k 216 England
3 Oct 2009 9:48AM
A few tips

upload a some shots to the critique gallery - they'll always get a comment
join in the Critique Buddies challenges - you should always get some comments there
ask questions and write in detail about the shot when you upload it - people often read this and will answer genuine questions.
If you still are unhappy with the feedback, send someone a personal message asking them to take a look at a shot - the worst they can do is ignore you, most will be flattered you asked.
Pete Plus
14 18.7k 96 England
3 Oct 2009 10:04AM

Quote:I've joined a couple other photo sites (one other one was paid and offered "critiques") yet none have come close to the level of feedback and quality here at epz.

Glad you came to that conclusion. I've been looking around recently to see if we need to make any changes and was surprised at the lack of activity on one US site that started before us and pleased to see all the others that copied our format from major UK publishers are still a million mile behind.
I can confidently say we are still the best place to upload pictures if feedback and comments are required, and we have some changes coming to add some more new features.
G6DDS 6 231 Scotland
3 Oct 2009 11:07AM
Does it matter how many views your pictures get? I've not been on here long like yourself and don't bother how many views i get, it's the comments that make the difference to me.

I never joined EPZ to be noticed, i joined to learn. I found out about this site in a magazine and decided to join and pay membership for 5 years before even checking it out first.


Quote:
If you still are unhappy with the feedback, send someone a personal message asking them to take a look at a shot - the worst they can do is ignore you, most will be flattered you asked.



Never thought of this. You may get a PM soon ade

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.