Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Getting that polished crisp or warm enticing look that professionals achieve?

JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2021 11:13PM
What tips would you recommend to finishing an image to a publication level print? Curves and contrast seem like a good start, Lightroom sharpening and noise help. Photoshop colour grading works on some images sometimes.

Assuming you don't always get it right in camera, what techniques do you use to finish your images?
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
14 Oct 2021 12:51AM
I have to admit I leave it to the guys, at the couple of local publications I submit to, to do the final preparation. They have decades of photographic printing experience and when they start talking about CMYK etc I'm afraid I glaze over.Blush

That said, I generally process my RAW files as best I can to give a reasonably contrasty image using levels/curves/shadow-highlight tool, saturation etc. But.... and this will seem counterintuitive, I send suitably cropped but unsharpened TIFFs to them for final processing.

These are big files and I usually use a service such as (free) WeTransfer. You can send up to 2GB of files this way.

Hope that helps in some way.
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
14 Oct 2021 8:49AM

Quote:What tips would you recommend to finishing an image to a publication level print?

Not sure what your question is.

Are you submitting an image for publication or just wanting the " look " for printing yourself ?

Whichever I guess the basics would be a good starting point.
Dust / Spot removal, Exposure, Correct Highlight / Shadow Clipping, maybe keystone / straighten correction.

Sharpening is a difficult one, I would not adjust output sharpening, just capture & creative.

For publication I would not do anything with colour grading, they may have their own style and leave the image uncropped so they can adjust depending on where they want to use it.

You do not want to go too extreme with your adjustments as they may reject it without a second thought ( unless of course that is what they requested )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.