Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Gimbal Head

carper123 Plus
8 1.3k 8 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2018 5:16PM
Hi, I am looking to purchase a Gimbal head, I have a budget of about £250 pounds and currently looking at the Kenro KENGHC1 Carbon Fibre Gimbal Head, I was wondering if any members were familiar with this model, if anyone has any other suggestions for a Gimbal within my price range it would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Darryl
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
3 Feb 2018 5:50PM
Sorry I don't have any experience with that particular Gimbal... For the price it looks to be reasonable, a CF clone of Wimberly, as with most heads of this type a lot boils down to the quality of the bearings, I would imagine that being Kenro the bearings will be of good quality.

What sort of weight are you looking to support?

I am presuming that as you are looking at a CF gimbal then weight may be an issue...

What sort of head are you currently using?

Just a note... I moved to a 'Sidekick' style of gimbal as I became fed up with changing my ball head for the gimbal and vice versa...
carper123 Plus
8 1.3k 8 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2018 5:57PM
Hi Phil, thanks for that, I have a Nikon d800 with a Nikon 200-500 lens, presently using a large Manfrotto ball head, the side kick gimbal may be the answer, something to think about, thanks for your input.
Darryl
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
3 Feb 2018 6:07PM

Quote:Hi Phil, thanks for that, I have a Nikon d800 with a Nikon 200-500 lens, presently using a large Manfrotto ball head, the side kick gimbal may be the answer, something to think about, thanks for your input.
Darryl

A sidekick type may suite that combo better as it is not hugely heavy, the only problem I see is the Manfrotto QR... most gimbals etc use the Arca Swiss plate system (although Manfrotto do produce some with an Arca style QR)
Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2018 11:55PM
My mate got a Benro GH2. It performs well with a 1DX and 600mm f4 .
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2018 10:53AM
I use a sidekick and the cheap Lensmaster offering; my subjects donít notice any difference.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
4 Feb 2018 6:56PM
Another vote for the Wimberley Sidekick. Works perfectly and a lot more versatile than a full gimbal head.
NeilSchofield Plus
13 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2018 7:28AM
If you have bought yet could I suggest that you consider one of these

I use them on skimmer pods, monopods and tripods with very heavy gear, my wimberley gimbal hardly gets a look in nowadays

You might get them cheaper on the net
Chrism8 13 958 27 England
10 Feb 2018 12:29PM

Quote:If you have bought yet could I suggest that you consider one of these

I've gone for the L10s version for the monopod, like the look of these and as I do a lot or portrait work, being able to swap to portrait mode from landscape looks to be much easier and quicker than taking the camera off and turning it 90 deg on the side Arca Swiss mount therefore not losing the flow of the shoot with the model.

Neil - Thank you for highlighting these, the L10s unit doesn't swivel, which isn't an issue on a monopod as you can turn the monopod on its foot easy enough and therefore you get a saving of £80 GBP almost
carper123 Plus
8 1.3k 8 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2018 2:00PM
A big thanks to everyone, your input has been very useful
Darryl 📸📸📸
carper123 Plus
8 1.3k 8 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2018 9:05PM
I have finally settled on the Lensmaster rh2 gimbal head, once again many thanks.
Darryl 📸📸📸

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.