Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Giottos MTL9351B Adjustable Column Aluminium Tripod weight

15 May 2010 5:43PM
has anyone got this tripod? If so could you weigh it on your scales and let me know the weight? The Giottos UK website has it listed as 1.85kg in the blurb but says it/'s 2.1kg in the promotional video. I've emailed their customer services but got no reply. It fits my needs but I want to try to minimise the weigh5t and 300g is 300g!
Metalhead 13 1.9k 2 England
19 May 2010 1:40PM
Are you still wanting this info? I see no-one has replied yet...

I can weigh mine this evening, but to be honest 300g really isn't much and I've lugged mine quite easily up several hilly walks now. You'll know it's there, but you won't really feel the difference between 1.85kg and 2.1kg over time.
19 May 2010 5:51PM
Hi Metalhead. I'd appreciate it if you were able to weigh it. I have arthritis in my spine which is limiting my ability to walk in high mountains with a heavy pack. I have been trying to 'rationalise' my pack weight to help things. The 300g on its own doesnt help but with a new lightweight rucksack, lightweight waterproofs, drinks container etc etc it all adds up to a less painful days end!

Also if I could justify the price of a carbon 'pod I would get one. The equivalent Giottos carbon model weighs 1600gms. If the model you have is indeed 1850gms the 250gms difference may not be worth the extra cost. But if the difference is 0.5kg carbon might be a more attractive option.
19 May 2010 7:19PM
Hi. Sorry to hear about the arthritis. My mum has it pretty bad in her knees so I can sympathise with that...

Right, I've weighed the tripod in several configurations and here's the findings:

MTL9351B legs only with standard centre column: 1,804g
MTL9351B legs only with small centre column: 1,657g
MH1302-652 ball head: 308g

You haven't mentioned what head you have, or plan to use, but I thought I'd let you know exactly how much that particular head weighs.

I'm sure you know that if you wanted to reduce weight even more you could attach the camera direct to the top of the tripod's standard centre column and not even use a head! You can at least get left/right panning motion that way.

The short column (comes with the tripod) means you can leave the standard column at home, and you can splay the legs out to their farthest setting and get the camera very low to the ground, but without the standard column you don't have the facility to set it horizontally etc - the short column is simply a short, stubby attachment to replace the standard column.

So for full flexibility I'd stick with the standard column, but that is the heaviest option at 1,804g before a head is attached.

Not sure where Giotto's get their measurements from. My kitchen scales are pretty accurate and 1,804g is still a fair bit shy of 1,850g!!

That also begs the question of how light is the carbon fibre equivalent model!! Smile

Hope that info is helpful, and good luck with your purchase.
19 May 2010 8:15PM
Metalhead thank you for the time and effort on my behalf. I'm going to be getting the same (MH1302-652) head also so that was an extra bit of useful info.
19 May 2010 8:43PM
No problem. Glad I could help.

I've had mine over a year now without any problems at all. Cheapest place back then was an independent shop called College Cameras. Even with the 8 next day delivery they were still cheaper than most other shops.

A Jersey-based company called My Memory are also good on prices for Giotto's products. Worth a look.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.