Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Glossy or Lustre finish?

Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
25 Feb 2012 11:27AM
I rarely get my photos printed.
But I am in the process of getting some photos printed by lab.
Just wondering what people prefer, glossy or lustre, and why.
Would it be one finish is better for certain genre, and not another?
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Feb 2012 12:05PM
Sometimes its a case of subject matter, Some things just look nicer on one or the other, So yes " Genre " is a good point.

Next might be how it will be dispayed, Framed with ordinary glass or the less reflective type.

Lastly personal " Taste " .....LOL...Smile There are those who have taste, Then there is thems that do not, Essex is not famous for it....Smile
GarethRobinson 14 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 2:43PM
Lustre /Matte if framing behind glass for me personally.
Gloss for most other things.

I would get sample prints done of the same subject on different papers, and different subject on different papers and make your own decision.
I think its all a personal thing really.
AnnChown Plus
10 207 1 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 3:57PM
I think it's very personal - recently I've had both produced by a photo lab for camera club competitions. The first ones I had were gloss - they looked wonderful, but are prone to fingerprints and other marks, so the next time I had lustre done. I do prefer the gloss finish for this purpose as they seem to "shine out" more. But I agree with Gareth - it's personal preference, I guess.
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
25 Feb 2012 4:33PM
As Cameracat said and OP suspected, it depends very much upon the image. Choosing the paper to use is very much part of the whole photographing/post-processing sequence that leads up to the finished print.

I tend to use cheap glossy paper for "hard-proofing" images but never, ever use it for final prints. If I did eventually want to produce a print that I thought would be enhanced by glossy paper, I would have to go out and buy a packet of decent quality stuff. Meantime, I tend to choose from a number of matt and pearl finishes depending upon subject and treatment.

However, I would hesitate to generalise by suggesting that a particular genre will always be enhanced by a particular paper surface.

The other paper "quality" that is important when deciding which stock to print on is the warmness or coolness of the paper. Remember that (in most home-based printers) there is no white ink - so the whites in the image depend upon the tone of the paper.
779HOB 8 1.2k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2012 4:59PM
I prefer Lustre but I think it's a personal thing like so much when it comes to photography.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
25 Feb 2012 7:53PM

Quote:As Cameracat said and OP suspected, it depends very much upon the image.

Agree 100%

That said, I too have a preference for a 'Lustre' finish - especially where faces/groups are concerned but...

Wink
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
25 Feb 2012 8:22PM
I much prefer lustre/pearl/semi-gloss over gloss. Less reflections, less visible finger prints and I just generally prefer the very slightly stippled finish to the paper.
Gloss may well suit subjects containing a lot of metal, glass, etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.