'Go back' function

ARI 17 538 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2020 1:35AM
Laptop with Windows 10. Created temp. folders on my destop to assist with sorting some files to be transfer ed to a hard drive later. There was a huge update to Windows and when it finished, I noticed that folder with about 100 RAW files had disappeared. It is not in the Trash can either. I know that Windows a a a facility to take the computer and restore the computer to where it was a few days ago. I have used this restore feature, but cannot remember as to how I did this. Appreciate my memory being refeshed.
Thanks
Ari

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 10.2k 52 Norway
12 Feb 2020 7:45AM
A simple google found this:

https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/undo-windows-update/
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
12 Feb 2020 9:09AM
You can roll back updates from within Windows 10 itself, although I think you've a limited time in which to do so.

What you're referring to to travel back in time, is "System restore."
Type "System restore" into the search box on your taskbar and you'll be rewarded with a pop up marked "set a restore point" or something similar. Click on that and you're away.

For what it's worth though, on the very few occasions that I've tried to use it (Windows 10 Pro), it's faiied to work. It goes through the motions but doesn't actually restore anything, saying that it's been prevented from doing so by my AV or simply showing me an error message.

To save space, I've now got it switched off.
Tianshi_angie 5 2.8k England
12 Feb 2020 10:20AM
If you can remember the file name of any of the files you have lost you could try a 'Search' in 'File Explorer' - Highlight 'This PC' and then put the file name into the Search box on the right side of the screen. If you set it to all files and folders it may take a while and find all sorts of things that are remotely similar but it should find your files. I doubt Windows has deleted them - I suspect it has put them somewhere 'safe' - I do it all the time!!!
12 Feb 2020 10:49AM
If you can't remember the file names, do you remember the extension (i.e. .tif, .jpg, .temp) that you gave them then search for the extension - it will bring up masses of files but it should bring up the files you are looking for - remember to put the . in front of the extension.
ARI 17 538 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2020 1:24PM
Folk, thank you for the advise, found it. The Windows 10 update did nasty things. The missing folder was moved into another folder as a sub sub folder. I had reference material copied as PDF docs and Word docs on the laptop. The icons remained but jumbled up but no docs when the icon were asked to open. Some Word dos are lost, eg a listing of favorites, CV. The PDFs files can be retrieve from the net.
I initially suspected that a virus had sneaked in, but I do not any thing not even cookies. Windows defender is used, so I assume that Windows 10 ha been a very, very bad boy. Hvae not been able to achieve a system restore as yet.

14 Feb 2020 3:03PM
Have you tried the search function?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.