Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Going back to film, problem at airports

Trevor121 1 13 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2020 5:32PM
Excuse me., I have not accused you of anything. I am actually enjoying this discussion and am very happy to discuss any aspect of photography with you or anyone else who wishes to comment
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Feb 2020 7:50PM
Fma7 5 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2020 10:01PM
Has anyone ever had film fogged by airport x-ray?

I mean you read reports of a friend of a friend or some internet post, but has anyone actually experienced it?

With respect to cost of film do they still sell bulk film? |Back in the day I remember buying a bulk loader (still got it) and 15m of film and the loader paid for itself in that one purchase.
5 Feb 2020 10:14PM
On the subject of using x-ray bags, according to the Kodak press release, airport security turn up the power of the machine's, if they still can't see, they would open the bag and scan the film anyway.
5 Feb 2020 10:17PM
A quick look on the Ilford website shows this

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/6012599
Camairish 15 1.4k Scotland
5 Feb 2020 10:24PM
Stick ‘em in a lead bag and hope for the best. Or don’t. Nothing else for it really if you’re flying with film. The world has changed unfortunately and the old rules may no longer apply.
thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2020 10:33PM

Quote:Has anyone ever had film fogged by airport x-ray?

I mean you read reports of a friend of a friend or some internet post, but has anyone actually experienced it?

Yes, I've experienced airport fogging a couple of times. The first was with Kodak TMZ so I stopped taking it by air. The exposed rolls were fogged enough to be ruined so I tested the unused stock rolls and found that they were also fogged. The Tri-X was slightly fogged but not as badly so I binned all the film that I had taken away.

On another trip a few years later, some Kodak EPN was fogged so that was the last time I took film by air.

I've never liked travelling by scheduled airliner so try to use train, car or ship where possible.
pablophotographer 9 1.7k 389
6 Feb 2020 1:34AM
Using film has become trickier nowadays compared to what it was few years ago. Since you have to go to your destination by airplane just carry the camera and the lenses. Buy the film from a store at your destination and process it locally. Or buy the film on line and have your hotel address as delivery address. The send by recorded post the negatives back to your home address...
thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2020 10:52AM
Unfortunately, many postal services X-ray a percentage of parcels when they're looking for contraband.

The son of some people that I know has recently been released from a prison sentence for importing and dealing Class A. His supplier was sending the goods from abroad through the post although he wasn't caught first time!
pablophotographer 9 1.7k 389
7 Feb 2020 1:08AM
I would let the post office check the contents before they are shipped. That I guess would minimise the risk of scanning.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.