Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Good Friday and the Doctors are on hols

Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 11:42AM

Quote:Not sure why it should make people's "blood boil"... unless of course I am not allowed to have a point of view and make comments against the "sacred cow" of the medical profession

Not quite sure what your point is exactly. You are fortunate enough to live in a society where you get free health care at the point of delivery and where emergency cover is provided even when a surgery is closed but you are complaining because you didn't have the foresight to make suitable arrangements for a Bank Holiday weekend that you have known was coming for at least a year.

The use the term Stazi is of course as insulting as terms that you have recently complained about others using in another threads.

Quite why you feel that someone should remind you about 'the bleedin obvious' (a BH weekend) is a mystery to me.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 12:01PM
Free health care at point of delivery. Just because you don't write out a cheque to your GP doesn't mean you don't pay for it. We do - and a lot! I know we should be grateful for the NHS but that doesn't mean it should not be criticised if and when something is wrong with the system or individuals in that system.

As to foresight, as I pointed out, I handed in the prescription 2 days in advance as instructed by the surgery and would have thought that we would have been told they were not opening on GF morning or Saturday.

Many surgeries have a rota opening on Saturday as mine used to but they have now stopped doing so with just 1 month's notice to patients other than in the surgery itself which I rarely visit other than when I try to pick up my prescription on a 2 monthly cycle Grin (a neighbour who has diabetes and uses the same clinic has just told me about this).

Those of us for whom Bank Holidays are but a vague memory, sometimes do need reminding that they exist. Smile

Ironically, if my dog needs treatment, his veterinary surgery is open Smile

I'm glad I didn't mention teachers and holidays now (and that is joke before anyone else gets upset Grin)
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 12:09PM
Did you expect the banks to be open today Barry?
JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 12:10PM
Game set and match to AngelaBarnett & Henchard me thinks Tongue
pcheywood 16 1.3k England
2 Apr 2010 12:22PM
If you've been using the the tablets for 15 years, how have you not managed to squirrel away a small buffer of medication for contingencies.

I'm on various medications and repeat prescriptions (mostly mega painkillers) that fall at differing times (some 28 days and others 30 days) and wouldn't dream of leaving it to the last minute or tablet to re-order. It's not hard to build up the buffer over time, just renew a day or two early a few times, or is your GP also a rigid mathematician who sits and works it out to the day?
2 Apr 2010 12:22PM

Quote:Did you expect the banks to be open today Barry?

They used to be.. and not that long ago but that was before the widespread introduction of ATMs and web based services rendering most over the counter services redundant. Can't remember the last time I went into a bank to be honest Smile

James - what's that about? Any point I am missing?
2 Apr 2010 12:25PM

Quote:If you've been using the the tablets for 15 years, how have you not managed to squirrel away a small buffer of medication for contingencies.

Mine has a limited shelf life so cannot be stored unfortunately as I would do. I also have to have it regularly assessed which is why some of the prescription cannot be automatically renewed by my chemist (now that is a good service) Sad
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Apr 2010 12:26PM

Quote:Eh? get a sense of humour for goodness sake

I don't think your original post was exactly inviting of humorous comments. You wanted a rant and you viciously over-generalised, upsetting a fair few people. Angie's response was spot on IMO.

Quote:Of course individuals do a great job in all walks of life,

probably much more than those who don't. So why not complain about, or preferably to, the individuals who you feel have specifically wronged you instead of using a scattergun approach of slamming everybody who has anything to do with the medical profession..

Stephen
pcheywood 16 1.3k England
2 Apr 2010 12:31PM

Quote:If you've been using the the tablets for 15 years, how have you not managed to squirrel away a small buffer of medication for contingencies.

Quote:Mine has a limited shelf life so cannot be stored unfortunately as I would do. I also have to have it regularly assessed which is why some of the prescription cannot be automatically renewed by my chemist (now that is a good service) Sad

I wasn't talking about indefinate storage Barrie, just getting yourself a week or two ahead as a buffer. The week or two wouldn't affect assessment, and could easily be rebuilt after any change in prescription.
JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 12:32PM
Hello Barry
How's it going? My point was I thought that the responses from AngelaBarnett & Henchard to your initial thread were pretty spectacular and if the conversation was compared to a game of tennis it would result in them winning game set and match. So put your racket away and play another day Smile
2 Apr 2010 12:33PM
The sense of humour reference was in relation to a line the poster specifically quoted - I would have though that was clear.

As to the scatter gun, you are right of course as I went on to say if you look again. But then again, most of us do that including more than one person who has contributed to this thread telling me how wrong I am and yet have castigated "the police" (in general) for their actions in respect of photographers on more than one other thread.

I assume they don't have any police officers as close family members Grin

Anyway... some of us have to go to work now

edit:

Quote:I wasn't talking about indefinate storage Barrie, just getting yourself a week or two ahead as a buffer.

Yes... I think I will have to start thinking about doing that but part of the prescription is on auto-renewal from my chemist so I'll end up getting out of synch but I think I might have to do that now

As I said at the start, this was just a rant born out of irritation and frustration. As with all rants, sometimes logic and a measured approach takes a (bank) holiday and if anyone who has posted to this thread has never ever felt like that about anything in their life they are either telling whoppers or are Mother Theresa Smile
rossd 18 1.1k England
2 Apr 2010 12:45PM

Quote:unless of course I am not allowed to have a point of view and make comments against the "sacred cow" of the medical profession

Interesting. But maybe you should afford others the same right. Your outbursts in two other threads against those who disagreed with your own personal 'sacred cow' would seem to contradict this.

Also, before you say 'it's not the same'; it most certainly is the same. Different topic/subject but everybody has the right to have a point of view and make comments (as long as they are not inciting violence)
2 Apr 2010 1:19PM
Ross... but that really IS a stupid analogy. Speaking out against Homophobia and in one thread, some dreadful remarks about specific sexual activities has absolutely no comparison to the comments here.

I'm not talking about the sexual activities of Doctors ffs.. Good grief...

posted via ePhotozine for iPhone
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 1:25PM

Quote:Ross... but that really IS a stupid analogy. Speaking out against Homophobia and in one thread, some dreadful remarks about specific sexual activities has absolutely no comparison to the comments here.

And dreadful remarks likening NHS workers to the Stasi who murdered and tortured people is acceptable?
rhody 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 2:07PM
Time for a nappy change I think.

When my baby's nappy is that full - he gets irritable as well and throws his toys out of the pram at the slightest thing.

Would you expect your local surgery to be open on Christmas Day as well Barrie?

If it's really important - perhaps a polite question to the Receptionist about when it would be ready would have helped.

We have 3 receptionists - all put up with sarcastic comments from people who are impatient at any delay and try to buck the system.

To liken them to the Stasi is equally as offensive and distasteful as some of comments you have reacted to and reported recently.

Whatever happened to "Polite, respectful and helpful" in forum posts?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.