Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Good Friday and the Doctors are on hols

kaybee Plus
17 7.8k 26 Scotland
2 Apr 2010 3:24PM
I take it you don't read the papers or watch commercial TV who have been advertising for ages the fact that surgeries are likely to be closed?

I am also sure that your medication has more than a 4 day shelf life which tends to indicate you just left it too late.
cricketcaz 11 16 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 3:37PM
mmmmmmmmmmm not wishing to stir it up but we have one of those Darzi centres, they are open every day of the year (yes even christmas day ! ) 8am - 8pm. I've only visited once but was great service & was able to get my prescription on site!Wink
rossd 18 1.1k England
2 Apr 2010 4:08PM

Quote:Ross... but that really IS a stupid analogy.

I don't think so (but then I would say that wouldn't I !!)

The point I was making is that you were very quick to criticise/condemn others for expressing their views on a particular subject (regardless of how derrogatory you may have considered those views were) and then, in this thread, you proceed to make some highly inflammatory/insulting comments and some very wide ranging generalisations yourself!

However, please rest assured that this is my last comment on the subject as I see others have said much the same thing.
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
2 Apr 2010 9:50PM
Barrie next time your in Boots, speak to the pharmacist about FRPS, no excuses.
canonfan46 12 1.1k United Kingdom
2 Apr 2010 10:19PM
I wish I knew what FRPS is..................it seems to have cured that one anyway
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
2 Apr 2010 11:01PM
Jay44 15 1.4k Wales
2 Apr 2010 11:03PM
The NHS failed my dad. He may still be here if they hadn't. Sad
AngieLatham 17 790 2 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2010 7:24AM
Thats sad ofcourse Jay but the NHS is not perfect,the Police/Goverment/Army/care system/social services.....any organisation is never going to be perfect. The reason is human beings are never going to be perfect.
The best we can do is take as much responsibility for ourselves and loved ones as possible and hope that when we do need the professionals that the people envolved are able to do their jobs properly by not being overworked, under staffed , under trained and under funded.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
3 Apr 2010 9:42AM
I, like I'm sure many on here, owe their life to the NHS. If it wasn't for quick thinking ambulance team, and then a brilliant nurse in the A&E I wouldn't be writing this. In hospital I lay in bid listening to people moan about NHS food, about nurses not being around them when they thought they needed attention, about it being too hot or too cold, etc and all I could think is it's just a perspective and how you look and cope with things.

edit just looked at the frps link...brilliant I never knew about that. Thanks Paul
trivets12 17 1.3k
3 Apr 2010 10:14AM
Unfortunately the NHS is now run by people whose only ambition is to achieve Foundation Status at ANY cost, and so when they apply for their next management/chief exec post they can put on their application form that their last hospital achieved this under their guidance.
Most managers now don't even know what a patient is, let alone what they need. Patients are just numbers to them.
Here is a list of things going on at my hospital:
A trauma ward being deliberately run 3 whole time equivalent staff short so that the budget looks better at the end of the year.
A manager on a ward trying to get patients out so that the four hour waiting target is met, heard to say ' get these people out, most of them are just f''''''g time wasters anyway'.
The four hour waiting target being the ONLY important thing to them. Never mind if patients are getting the correct care, or even getting any care, as long as they are in a bed - that's the only thing that matters.
Staff regularly working 12 hour shifts with no meal breaks - fainting on duty. Management couldn't care less about that.
Staff working past their contracted hours regularly and it being expected that they do so without pay.
Nitpicking matrons who serve no purpose but, hey, it looks good in the press when the public think the 'good old matrons' are back.
Managers who can't do simple maths i.e getting the hospital in debt, closing three wards and then wondering why there aren't enough beds. Of course, no managers or office staff were sacked or held accountable for this. Only patient services were cut.
36 bedded wards with one trained nurse on at night. Managers saying 'just do what you can'.
And so it goes on.
What we are seeing is the gradual disintegration of the NHS which is what the government want. They will then sneak in a two tier system which will be salary based, and so if you earn enough, you will pay a premium rate for your health care.
I could go on more............
Debbiee 15 136 6 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2010 10:35AM
I also used to work for Doctors, at a sexual health clinic, the standard of care that they used to give was second to none, the doctors themselves where fantastic, and as trivets has said it was the NHS organisation that was wrong, each of the doctors there where trained in there special field, i.e one in the chlamydia department, one in the syphilis department, and god forbid if one was off ill there was no-one to cover them. The other Doctors had to do there own workload, and although they would all try to muck in and help out they just couldn't possibly see the amount of patients that needed to be seen (not enough hours in the day, they to worked from 8am to 7pm). So I second what others have said Doctors do a fantastic job and are definately overworked, the problem I see is with the cutbacks in the NHS, not enough doctors in the services available i.e we had one doctor doing a job that could easily have been divided by 3 doctors and they all would still have a full time workload.
dlegros 19 217 England
3 Apr 2010 11:39AM

Quote:Unfortunately the NHS is now run by people whose only ambition is to achieve Foundation Status at ANY cost, and so when they apply for their next management/chief exec post they can put on their application form that their last hospital achieved this under their guidance.
Most managers now don't even know what a patient is, let alone what they need. Patients are just numbers to them.
Here is a list of things going on at my hospital:
A trauma ward being deliberately run 3 whole time equivalent staff short so that the budget looks better at the end of the year.
A manager on a ward trying to get patients out so that the four hour waiting target is met, heard to say ' get these people out, most of them are just f''''''g time wasters anyway'.
The four hour waiting target being the ONLY important thing to them. Never mind if patients are getting the correct care, or even getting any care, as long as they are in a bed - that's the only thing that matters.
Staff regularly working 12 hour shifts with no meal breaks - fainting on duty. Management couldn't care less about that.
Staff working past their contracted hours regularly and it being expected that they do so without pay.
Nitpicking matrons who serve no purpose but, hey, it looks good in the press when the public think the 'good old matrons' are back.
Managers who can't do simple maths i.e getting the hospital in debt, closing three wards and then wondering why there aren't enough beds. Of course, no managers or office staff were sacked or held accountable for this. Only patient services were cut.
36 bedded wards with one trained nurse on at night. Managers saying 'just do what you can'.
And so it goes on.
What we are seeing is the gradual disintegration of the NHS which is what the government want. They will then sneak in a two tier system which will be salary based, and so if you earn enough, you will pay a premium rate for your health care.
I could go on more............

Ooh, you're getting into my rant territory now! Smile

I'm on the other end of the dreaded 4h target - I work in the ED in a trust that is aiming for foundation status.

The figures are regularly massaged to avoid breaches, the favourite comment is "well the bed was ready" - yes, but I had no f***ing staff to transfer them out as they were running around assessing the 20 ambulances that arrived in the last hour!

I agree with the idea behind Reforming Emergency Care and the 4h target, no-one wants to go back to days of waiting 14 hours for a doc and 2 days for a bed (when I worked in London in 2000) but the targets are definitely put before quality of care.
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
4 Apr 2010 12:08PM

Quote:Am I the only one who can remember when Doctors not only knew what they were doing but actually practised it too

Obviously you are not old enough to remember the time when we turned up at the surgery at 4pm when they opened to find another 20 "punters" before you, we had to remember who was immediately before us...a trick in it'self....if lucky you were seen before 8pm or told "we're closing now...come back tomorrow"

....I don't 'wanna go back to "the good old days"

....Mike
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
4 Apr 2010 1:30PM
In acknowledging the NHS has problems (and that's a different thread in itself..), I'd also like to add my support for our GP's who do an incredibly difficult job in what must be trying circumstances sometimes.

I agree with MikeRC, I do remember "the good old days" and the changes that have been made in everything from the doctors surgery waiting room experience to the daily diagnosis using ultrasound and MRI scanners are truly remarkable.

Having spent some time in America, where you are warned that they rifle your pockets for evidence of your ability to pay BEFORE they lay a hand on you, I sometimes think that we fail to see just how lucky we are to have the NHS (despite its obvious failings).

Andy.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2010 8:23PM

Quote:Am I the only one who can remember when Doctors not only knew what they were doing but actually practised it too

Obviously you are not old enough to remember the time when we turned up at the surgery at 4pm when they opened to find another 20 "punters" before you, we had to remember who was immediately before us...a trick in it'self....if lucky you were seen before 8pm or told "we're closing now...come back tomorrow"

....I don't 'wanna go back to "the good old days"

....Mike

I remember that also now you have mentioned it, puts the original moan into perspective, I remember falling asleep in the waiting room as I was the 25th in line, Not even sure repeat prescriptions was around then.
Its a very much improved service than it was, I also remember spending a few weeks in a 30 bed ward(15 beds down each side and very little privacy) one phone and one telly for all if you was lucky.
Even had a smoking room !

bottles of brown ale and Guinness on the nurses Trolly.

Somethings have definitely changed for the better

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.