Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

good glass v kit lens

would you be able to see any difference in iq in an a4 print

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE Plus
13 7.1k 18 England
10 Oct 2017 7:50PM
probably would if that A4 print was an enlargement from a severe post capture crop
10 Oct 2017 7:57PM
Some "kit lenses" such as the Nikon 18-55 P are optically very good.
saltireblue Plus
7 7.5k 33 Norway
10 Oct 2017 8:16PM
The 18-55 kit lens on the Fuji X-T2 gives excellent quality images, and I have a couplé of prints in A3+ size that are perfectly acceptable.
Paul Morgan Plus
16 19.0k 6 England
10 Oct 2017 8:49PM

Quote:would you be able to see any difference in iq in an a4 print

With all things being equal then often not.
10 Oct 2017 9:32PM
Thinking about print quality—one limiting factor has to be the printer used? Have the luxury of a full-frame 42 Mpixel and a workhorse m4/3, half-frame 16 Mpixel to compare at slightly larger than A4. I cannot tell the difference between very expensive top-class glass and a kit lens, both at f/8. Pixel peeping on the computer shows the expensive lens, wide open, is better in the corners and this can be seen in printed fine detail; it also has less distortion, but you would generally have to be shooting architecture and be looking for post-processing woes to see it!
10 Oct 2017 10:14PM
Unless you're comparing a cheap-n-nasty kit lens (of the kind you rarely get these days, TBH) with something like a Canon L series, probably not.

There are a great many variables, not least the camera (if digital) or film used, the printer, the scanner (if film), any software processing, and so on.

Always bear in in mind that many or even most of the "great" photographs of the 20th century were made using equipment that would be sneered at as impossibly primitive today.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.3k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:19PM
Look in an A4 magazine at some of the adverts, work out which models were shot on kit lenses and which on high end glass. Could be a bridal magazine, a glamour magazine a wildlife magazine. IME the quality of good glass shines through, even if the image is postcard sized. Maybe all of those magazine photographers are wasting their money. I don't think so.
Fma7 Plus
2 791 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:34PM

Quote:Look in an A4 magazine at some of the adverts, work out which models were shot on kit lenses and which on high end glass

Examples?
10 Oct 2017 10:37PM

Quote:Look in an A4 magazine at some of the adverts, work out which models were shot on kit lenses and which on high end glass. Could be a bridal magazine, a glamour magazine a wildlife magazine. IME the quality of good glass shines through, even if the image is postcard sized. Maybe all of those magazine photographers are wasting their money. I don't think so.

I have to agree with Chris_L good quality lenses do make a difference though we amateurs cant all afford them and good images can be taken with much cheaper glass especially when the light is good.
JackAllTog Plus
8 4.9k 58 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:41PM
Good glass is typically faster and perhaps fixed aperture also - so more opportunity for shots you might otherwise miss; Also auto focus should be faster and more accurate. Perhaps OS/VR/IS also adds to the shot.

My constant Fav lens is still though the EF50mm F1.8 STM - and its cheap.
10 Oct 2017 10:50PM
With Nikon, the last two versions of the 18-55mm kit are as good as the professional "holy trinity" when it comes to optical quality. The kit lens is a meagre f5.6 at the long end an it doesn't have the weather sealing or durability of the "pro" optics. On the other hand the kit lens is tiny, weighs practically nothing and can be bought very cheaply indeed. Each has its place and this is from somebody who owns both.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.3k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:50PM
Well lit, Panavision lenses and even at a poxy 640 x 480 and rescued from VHS there's a richness, a quality that shines through. You can get a cameraphone with a poxy little lens that records in 4k but it won't look as good as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56M5OZS1A8

Fma7 Plus
2 791 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 11:02PM

Quote:You can get a cameraphone with a poxy little lens that records in 4k but it won't look as good as this.

I think there's a lot more to that than just (even?) the lens.
Fma7 Plus
2 791 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 11:03PM

Quote:Always bear in in mind that many or even most of the "great" photographs of the 20th century were made using equipment that would be sneered at as impossibly primitive today.

Sums it up for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.