Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Good or bad idea?

thewilliam2 1 1.0k
23 Nov 2018 2:30PM
Huff Post has an article that the Met will do whatever it takes to halt moped "thieves", even to the point of knocking them off. Do readers consider this a good move?

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/11/23/met-police-allowed-to-knock-moped-thieves-off-bikes-at-high-spee/?guccounter=1

Have these criminals been allowed to rob with impunity for too long?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
10 7.8k 30 England
23 Nov 2018 2:50PM
Why not. They use tazers and guns on criminals, so why not a gentle nudge.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 2:52PM
I'd worry that the out of control riderless moped slid into other traffic causing them to swerve killing innocent motorists and pedestrians .
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
23 Nov 2018 2:56PM

Quote:Why not. They use tazers and guns on criminals, so why not a gentle nudge.

Quite.
in fact, why stop at a gentle nudge?
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 2:57PM
The Met drivers are fully trained in this tactic and will not even attempt it if there is any possibility of putting other persons in danger... These Moped thieves are a problem and action needs to be taken.
saltireblue Plus
8 8.7k 34 Norway
23 Nov 2018 3:13PM

Quote:Chief Inspector Jim Corbett: "To mitigate risk to the public & also offenders, we use a range of tactics including tactical contact. There has been a significant reduction in motorcycle & scooter crime with a decrease of 10,974 offences to date this year in comparison to 2017"

Sounds as if it is effective.
These yobs were removing their helmets in the belief that police would stop the pursuit, but now they know that tactic won't work any more and it would seem the tactics of the police are working. I have yet to read any reports of innocent bystanders being injured by rogue scooters.
collywobles 14 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 6:07PM
Best idea for a very long time. I don't give a rats arse to any of these pillocks, if the police knock them off their 'mopeds and even if they die -- they deserve it. I watch the program Police Interceptors and the car chases in them are ridiculous. If I was asked to stop by the Police I would pull over and stop. When these morons are caught their punishment is negligible.. The Police are too kind to them.
altitude50 14 13.6k United Kingdom
23 Nov 2018 6:10PM
Wouldn't it be a shame if one of these thugs was carrying a bottle of battery acid in their jacket !?
It could happen.SadSadSad
Cephus Plus
14 2.4k England
23 Nov 2018 7:48PM

Quote:Best idea for a very long time. I don't give a rats arse to any of these pillocks, if the police knock them off their 'mopeds and even if they die -- they deserve it. I watch the program Police Interceptors and the car chases in them are ridiculous. If I was asked to stop by the Police I would pull over and stop. When these morons are caught their punishment is negligible.. The Police are too kind to them.

I absolutely agree, Give the little B*****ds what they deserve!!!
dcash29 13 2.3k England
23 Nov 2018 10:11PM
Its not a good idea... Its an EXCELLENT IDEA
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2018 12:09AM
The Law has to be able to always do its job, as otherwise the lawbreakers can increasingly become untouchable and then encourage others also into such crime and behavior patterns.

There will always be one one idiot that runs from police just because their tax expired and this might well be the idiot that gets killed by this technique - yes that does seem unfair.
We should publicise clearly that if you look like an armed raider evading arrest you will be treated like one until you can explain otherwise.

I'd also have traffic wardens reporting unlicensed/wanted vehicles in an attempt to further reduce the illegal vehicles on our roads.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
24 Nov 2018 10:59AM
Is it about time that we moved away from creating the "snowflake generations"?

Some years back, I worked with a JP and he often expressed sympathy for the criminals who'd appeared before him but never once did I hear him express any sympathy for a victim. He was genuinely shocked when I pointed this out to him!
dcash29 13 2.3k England
24 Nov 2018 11:03AM

Quote:Is it about time that we moved away from creating the "snowflake generations"?

Some years back, I worked with a JP and he often expressed sympathy for the criminals who'd appeared before him but never once did I hear him express any sympathy for a victim. He was genuinely shocked when I pointed this out to him!

A do-gooder then. However, rather than fining these offenders they need to think up some horrible tasks for them to do or bring back the birch
hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
25 Nov 2018 7:31AM
I know that this has been said, time and time again, but with no apologies I repeat it again...

NATIONAL SERVICE...... between 1940 and 1960 every fit male in the U.K. was conscripted into one of the armed forces to do two years of...National Service....
After an extremely tough first six weeks of toughening up, Via route marches, PT, Drill with lots of shouting, once surly,scruffy, insolent, Jack-the-lad recruits turned into servicemen proud of their Regiment, Squadron or Ship. They learned to live at very close quarters with ALL types, working as a team, whilst relying on and caring for each other. Driving tanks, Flying in or maintaining aircraft, or, weapon or technical training on board ship. Many saw active service in Korea, Malaya and Aden.
I was stationed just 4 km away from the Bergen Belsen nazi concentration camp between 1956-1957....trained as a tank Driver/Radio operator.....was demobbed as a quick thinking, smart, gregarious, tolerant, much matured adult. Speak to any male in their late 70s or 80s today ...they will tell you.
No, we werenít all Angels....but I donít recall, any drug taking, homeless young people on the streets or the crimes, knifings and shootings of today.

A new compulsory NATIONAL SERVICE...neednít be a Military one.....but two years enforced service for the public good, including caring here and overseas might work in a very similar way....if not for every fit 18 yr old...for every convicted new offender.

Hobbo
altitude50 14 13.6k United Kingdom
25 Nov 2018 8:04AM
Generally, I would agree, but my brother who was born in 1938 was accepted into the army when he was known to be unfit (walking problems). He was a decent hardworking law-abiding person who enjoyed life, breeding budgerigars and growing fuschias and riding his motorbike.
He was discharged as unfit (feet) after about 18 months, his previous employer would not take him back although he was legally required to do so. Things from there went rapidly downhill & basically national service ruined his life.
So National Service didn't fit everybody.
Luckily I missed it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.