Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Good or bad idea?

dcash29 13 2.3k England
25 Nov 2018 9:12AM

Quote:I know that this has been said, time and time again, but with no apologies I repeat it again...

NATIONAL SERVICE...... between 1940 and 1960 every fit male in the U.K. was conscripted into one of the armed forces to do two years of...National Service....
After an extremely tough first six weeks of toughening up, Via route marches, PT, Drill with lots of shouting, once surly,scruffy, insolent, Jack-the-lad recruits turned into servicemen proud of their Regiment, Squadron or Ship. They learned to live at very close quarters with ALL types, working as a team, whilst relying on and caring for each other. Driving tanks, Flying in or maintaining aircraft, or, weapon or technical training on board ship. Many saw active service in Korea, Malaya and Aden.
I was stationed just 4 km away from the Bergen Belsen nazi concentration camp between 1956-1957....trained as a tank Driver/Radio operator.....was demobbed as a quick thinking, smart, gregarious, tolerant, much matured adult. Speak to any male in their late 70s or 80s today ...they will tell you.
No, we werenít all Angels....but I donít recall, any drug taking, homeless young people on the streets or the crimes, knifings and shootings of today.

A new compulsory NATIONAL SERVICE...neednít be a Military one.....but two years enforced service for the public good, including caring here and overseas might work in a very similar way....if not for every fit 18 yr old...for every convicted new offender.

Hobbo

Sorry but it wouldn't work with our multi-cultural society now.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
25 Nov 2018 9:44AM

Quote:
Quote:I know that this has been said, time and time again, but with no apologies I repeat it again...

NATIONAL SERVICE...... between 1940 and 1960 every fit male in the U.K. was conscripted into one of the armed forces to do two years of...National Service....
After an extremely tough first six weeks of toughening up, Via route marches, PT, Drill with lots of shouting, once surly,scruffy, insolent, Jack-the-lad recruits turned into servicemen proud of their Regiment, Squadron or Ship. They learned to live at very close quarters with ALL types, working as a team, whilst relying on and caring for each other. Driving tanks, Flying in or maintaining aircraft, or, weapon or technical training on board ship. Many saw active service in Korea, Malaya and Aden.
I was stationed just 4 km away from the Bergen Belsen nazi concentration camp between 1956-1957....trained as a tank Driver/Radio operator.....was demobbed as a quick thinking, smart, gregarious, tolerant, much matured adult. Speak to any male in their late 70s or 80s today ...they will tell you.
No, we weren’t all Angels....but I don’t recall, any drug taking, homeless young people on the streets or the crimes, knifings and shootings of today.

A new compulsory NATIONAL SERVICE...needn’t be a Military one.....but two years enforced service for the public good, including caring here and overseas might work in a very similar way....if not for every fit 18 yr old...for every convicted new offender.

Hobbo

Sorry but it wouldn't work with our multi-cultural society now.

Why ? Clarify this please....

Or.....do you think that those in charge dare not ?
dcash29 13 2.3k England
25 Nov 2018 10:40AM

Quote:
Why ? Clarify this please....

Or.....do you think that those in charge dare not ?

Because certain cultures would tell you what they were and were not doing and you'd have to go along with it.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
25 Nov 2018 11:14AM
National Service wouldn't do our professional armed services any good.

An example is the maintenance of the old Lockheed Starfighter. In the USAF, the work was done by professionals and it was one of the safest jet aircraft. In the Luftwaffe, the Starfighters were serviced by conscripts and the plane became known as "the widow-maker".
hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
25 Nov 2018 12:57PM

Quote:National Service wouldn't do our professional armed services any good.

An example is the maintenance of the old Lockheed Starfighter. In the USAF, the work was done by professionals and it was one of the safest jet aircraft. In the Luftwaffe, the Starfighters were serviced by conscripts and the plane became known as "the widow-maker".

This reply....is off topic.....I did state that any new National Service needn’t be a military one...instead, two compulsory years of service to others, both here and abroad....it would be inclusive, and help meld our multicultural population at just the right age.

Hobbo
dcash29 13 2.3k England
27 Nov 2018 6:12PM

Quote:

This reply....is off topic.....I did state that any new National Service neednít be a military one...instead, two compulsory years of service to others, both here and abroad....it would be inclusive, and help meld our multicultural population at just the right age.

Hobbo

Sorry but you're not living in the real world. Try approaching our multicultural young society with your fully inclusive scheme and see how far you get.
hobbo Plus
7 1.2k 2 England
27 Nov 2018 6:50PM
Love it !

Suggesting that I donít live in the real world.....when Iíve been on it for almost 81 years 🤓

We may not have been a multicultural country during the 1950s ....but as those who know, say we should be all equal no matter what, and, whether we want to be or not.....there could be no better way then, of creating a more equal society than enforcing a National Service for all young people .....for the common good.

As 1950s National Service conscripts we just had to get along, Jock/Taffy/Geordie/Brummie/Scouser/Four-Eyes/Spud/Mangold/Wurzel/.......And all the other nicknames you can think off.....Council School/Private School/Borstal/No School.....as long as you met the fitness criteria you ....WERE IN for two years......all together no getting out, no favouritism.....
I witnessed the toughest of Teddy-Boys reduced to tears on having their heads shorn, or being forced to give up their drainpipes and sued shoes.....watched as so called toughies, cried for mum, or cry themselves to sleep.....no privacy whatsoever.....be part a TEAM or sink there was no inbetween....I could write pages.

But even if you hated National Service...as I did.....it did no one any lasting harm...except for those affected by Active Service.....we all took great pride in our particular branch of the services and our country .....we were all demobbed, much fitter, more tolerant, and more adult......

Me? I mixed with the natives ( then a recent hated enemy) learned to speak German..... was totally overcome, by standing among the corpse-filled mounds of Bergen-Belsen concentration camp......

I am filled with despair at what is happening to our society today......can you suggest another way of improving it ?

Hobbo

Quote:
Quote:

This reply....is off topic.....I did state that any new National Service neednít be a military one...instead, two compulsory years of service to others, both here and abroad....it would be inclusive, and help meld our multicultural population at just the right age.

Hobbo

Sorry but you're not living in the real world. Try approaching our multicultural young society with your fully inclusive scheme and see how far you get.

dcash29 13 2.3k England
27 Nov 2018 7:43PM
No disrespect Hobbo but society has changed dramatically in the last 20 years never mind since the 50's and my mother of 93 is aware we've missed the boat on such multicultural scheme, so I'm surprised you suggest it. People in authority dont want to make unpopular choices and values are few and far between. The issue is parents cant/won't discipline their children properly due to the chance of being taken court or simply because they cant be bothered. Teachers nor police can either without being prosecuted. Discipline doesn't start at 16, 17, 18, 19, it starts from birth.

Quote:can you suggest another way of improving it ?
Well my grandmother stopped voting in her later years unless the party was for bringing back hanging. Me.. I'd bring back some lesser form of corporal punishment
Fma7 3 858 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2018 9:08PM
278466_1543352901.jpg

collywobles 14 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2018 8:48AM
I blame single parent Mums...ÖÖ.. Smile
gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 1:42PM

Quote:A new compulsory NATIONAL SERVICE...neednít be a Military one.....but two years enforced service for the public good, including caring here and overseas might work in a very similar way....if not for every fit 18 yr old...for every convicted new offender.

Yes: I agree with you. I think a lot of good things came out of the 1960's but also quite a few bad things: We had less deference to some of our undeserving leaders and more freedom of expression but we've also had some excessive permissiveness ever since.
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
5 Dec 2018 5:06PM

Quote:we've also had some excessive permissiveness ever since.

Excessive . . . ?

That's entirely subjective.

I know it's said that if you can remember the 1970s, then you weren't there.
Obviously, that's just an expression; I remember them and I most certainly was there.
In my teens and early twenties during the period between the arrival of "the pill" and the advent of AIDS.
Permissive?
Of course it was.
We had the time of our lives!

gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 5:39PM

Quote:Excessive . . . ?

That's entirely subjective.

Well, yes: My opinion is subjective as to the degree of permissiveness.
That's why I mentioned the more positive side of the 60's. In other words, I think the 60's was a good period in history on balance - in the UK at least.
In essence, I don't think we disagree on this. Smile
gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 6:09PM

Quote:People in authority dont want to make unpopular choices and values are few and far between.

Well, I still like Hobbo's idea and I think it might work if our politicians and opinion leaders were not such a useless, spineless, self-seeking, corrupt gang.
As I've said many times before, I think many of our societal problems are caused by neglect from our politicians and exploitation from the media and big corporations. There has been an abysmal failure to improve the conditions of the more deprived areas in the UK.

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2018 11:27PM
I like your idea of everyone needs to do some community service to correct some of the less than social attitudes of people today. So how about for everyone before they collect their pension or any welfare benefit they have to sign up to perform public service before they collect their benefit. We could of course make it based on a medical assessment as well to not impact those who are unable to work.

For the wealthy pensioner it may save the government money as they may decide to not collect it in order to avoid the community service. And for those that do, they can add something positive to the community. We need to do something to readdress the unfair penalty being placed on the under 30's and this is one way of shifting that balance back and remove some of the excessive entitlement the baby boomers have. Said as a baby boomer myself. A lot of older people suffer from loneliness, so we could have the newly retired fetching shopping and performing social visits and enriching the lives of those less able all in return for their pension. Do it correct and you could even afford to give a better pension to those who give and help. We need to do something to reduce the cost and improve the quality of elderly care, so why not get the elderly to self help more?

National service, I would have hated it, what a waste of my life at that stage I had a plan and a life to live. That does not say i do not think we should not do things for our community. view society For example I have 11 years of free voluntary work supporting a community charity, I think that more valuable, what do you think? what we need to move away from is burdening the young with more as they are living a life that is more financially constrained that their parents were. In my mid 20's I had a degree (for free) was married, had bought a flat and was a father. My own children at the same age and condition have a high debt due to student loans plus because of our greed on house pricing do not have a salary high enough to buy the same flat I did. That cannot be fair or correct. So us oldies have to stop lecturing the young, take a look in the mirror and pick up some of the load. And remember we are the parents/grandparents of the current youth so we have a responsibility for how they turned out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.