30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Goodyear Practical Photography

gib spawny 17 46 1 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:15AM
One of the ten finalist and won 100 and will be exhibited in next springs Exhibition.

The competition was called "Roadside Dramas"

That makes this the 4th success to date. Really don't know what I'm doing right? Perhaps its just the way the topics have fallen right for me and just happen to have what there looking for.

Role call so far.

Regional Finalist in the Old Pulteney Whiskey competition.
10th Round 1 Digital Photo
7th Round 2 Digital Photo
Finalist Goodyear Competition Practical Photography.

Doesn't pay the bills, but valuable free advertising and getting me recognised at a national level.
Marlin_owner 16 658 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 2:32AM
Well done.

Any chance you can post the pic?
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 7:39AM
Don't be shy Smile
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
21 Mar 2006 7:43AM
Gib,

Quote:Doesn't pay the bills, but valuable free advertising and getting me recognised at a national level.

A quick and serious question - can you quantify the benefit of being recognised at a national level by the readers of photography magazines ?

I'd love to know how you feel this specific achievement moves you forward ?

many thanks
Mike
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
21 Mar 2006 7:51AM

Quote:A quick and serious question - can you quantify the benefit of being recognised at a national level by the readers of photography magazines ?

Aye! Did you get anything out of being published in Professional Photographer this month? Wink
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
21 Mar 2006 8:51AM
Good achievement.

Often some of the best start in magazines. I recall seeing a piece about David Bailey trying to get his pictures published in Practical Photography in the late 50s/early 60s.
Camairish 15 1.4k Scotland
21 Mar 2006 11:06AM
Well done mate - if your goal at the moment is simply to get some pictures published then hats off, you've more than succeeded, will give you the confidence to take things a step further now. Nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet - shame that those who make a living from their cameras can only offer to rain on your parade - such is life!
Ian.
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
21 Mar 2006 11:39AM
Ian.

Quote:shame that those who make a living from their cameras can only offer to rain on your parade - such is life!

I'm not sure I follow. I asked a very serious question - and Joe was taking the p**s out of me....

Not sure I follow your comment.

Mike.
Simon_Whitehouse 16 769 5 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 12:00PM
Mike

Instead of slagging the guy off, why don't you offer him some advice gained be your many years of experiance? Read his PI and you'll find that he works in IT and is hoping for a career move, nowt wrong with that mate, same **** differant tie. If nobody had dreams this would be a very sad world. Yes Joe was taking the piss and that came across, you were being quite serious in your comments. You don't need to justify yourself that way Mike, your already a respected voice in these forums. Take the tie off mate and give the guy a little constructive advice.
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
21 Mar 2006 12:06PM
good one mate, hope your leads from this come to something finacial in the future, not all pros are jaded!!!
21 Mar 2006 12:23PM
Apologies Joe, it wasn't clear to other forum users that it was a dig at you.
Mike, your question doesn't come across as a serious enquiry, it comes across as a thinnly veiled stab at someone who has obviously got a lot of pleasure from seeing his photographs published in national magazines. Encouragement and advice is generally what we seek from the pros here, not weak sarcasm and comments intended to curb the enthusiasm.
Hope this is easier to follow,
Ian.
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
21 Mar 2006 12:40PM
Ian,

Sorry but you have seriously the wrong end of the stick. I asked a serious question. I am genuinely interested.

If you think I was making a stab then I'm afraid that is your problem, and not mine.

To you and smithy - if I had any genuine advice to Gib I would have given it. I am a social photographer and I do some commercial work and PR. I have no experience of entering competitions in photography magazines, or in competitions run by companies that require photographs as entries. I have never submitted to the likes of Digital Photo, Amateur Photographer, Photography Monthly or anything else.

As I have made clear in the past I am not one for sycophantic back-slapping nor do I give advice on things that I have absolutely no idea about.

I happen to be in Professional Photographer last month, and Outdoor Photographer this coming month - purely because one of my images won a national award from one of the professional associations who then did the PR to the mags.

Of the award and subsequent publication I hasten to add, I have not felt the compulsion to post myself on this site. I'll probably be entering the Professional Photographer competition this year in several categories - but mainly for the prizes and not the PR - although this was one reason behind my question in my original post.

So perhaps you could back off on the attack on my post, stop jumping down my throat and let Gib answer my question.

AND by the way I know Joe well, and am more than happy for him to take the p**s out of me whenever and wherever he sees fit. Lest I ever get too big for my own boots.

Mike.
21 Mar 2006 12:53PM
My above posts stand as written. Forum users will make up their own minds I guess.
I'm sorry Gib that your original post has got somewhat lost but I hope your run of good luck continues.
Ian.
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
21 Mar 2006 12:58PM
did you get paid for the publication of the pics or were they freebies mike???????
Simon_Whitehouse 16 769 5 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2006 1:07PM
Mike

Your comments have been digested and taken onboard, and my post was not an attack on your opinion, more of an observation. As one of the longest members here I assumed that you would be able to offer Gib some constructive advice. I take your point but still don't see it as your experiance must outway his by miles. Each to ther own I guess, but in my trade i will gladly give free advice on how to do something. If they than take that advice and f**k it up.......well not my problem.

No offence meant, and hopefully non taken.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.