Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Google Maps in Gallery/Showing the location of Gallery Photos.

17 Oct 2018 11:49AM
As one who ticks the box to show the location of most of my photos, I am surprised that very few other members seem to do so.
I was wondering why the facility is not used more widely. Is it that members have objections to sharing the location or they can't be bothered or don't see the point or haven't got a camera/phone that records the GPS co-ordinates?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
17 Oct 2018 12:06PM
I normally add the location to the map except when it is at my home address.

Also, if I recall correctly there was once a feature of typing in a location on a map and it brought up pins for images taken in / nearby that location.

It may still be available but not sure where to look for it now Sad

17 Oct 2018 12:08PM

Quote:

Also, if I recall correctly there was once a feature of typing in a location on a map and it brought up pins for images taken in / nearby that location.

It may still be available but not sure where to look for it now Sad

I wasn't aware of that one Jeff
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
17 Oct 2018 12:12PM
Smile Smile

I Found It

But I think it had to be set up specially for each location , Chris ( lobsterboy) was / is the administrator for it

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2018 1:31PM
When i go on holiday i use this to look up the area and the landmarks etc that others have shot - i think its very useful.
Mostly I don't have sat nav on , but when i uploaded a photo i think i used to try and add the location if it seemed relevant.
Thanks for reminding me.
pink Plus
15 5.9k 7 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2018 5:31PM
When you look at sites like 500px they add the GPS co-ordinates automatically to a map which is really useful. I don't have a problem sharing any location data on my images, happy to help if I can Smile
TrevBatWCC Plus
10 13 12 England
19 Oct 2018 3:49PM
I agree with Alan, no-one but me seems to include the map location when I view others' uploads. I always like to tick the 'Include map' to show where my image(s) have been taken. However, on uploading today, it shows the message "This page can't load Google Maps correctly", and asks if I am the site owner! I've tried uploading with both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers and still get the same, so can't add the location. It was OK before they mucked about with this new formatting... 😠
Trev
19 Oct 2018 3:58PM
Trev,
It's an on going problem that has been happening for a day or two. Google maps has been updated and Rick is on the case, but I'm sure it would help if you submitted a report and let him know. It's not only the maps on the gallery uploads that have been affected but in other areas, including Photolocations and the directory.
If you or an other member reports the problem it will help him to sort it out,

Alan
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.5k 58 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2018 6:39PM
Hi there,

Is there still a way of looking at photos in a location - like with google maps etc?

I used to have this link but it no longer seems to work.
https://www.ephotozine.com/photomap-gallery

Thanks
Stuart
29 Dec 2018 10:55PM
Stuart i think that relied on manually adding photos to a location. If you upload photos with the co-ordinates in the EXIF data then by clicking on those co-ordinates, shown below and to the right of the gallery photo, then a google map showing the location will pop up.

Alan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.