Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Grade 4 Music Theory - Rewriting 9 16 time as 3 8 time

simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2011 9:38PM
Please can someone explain (simply as I have to explain it to my 10 year old son) how to convert something written in 9 16 time to 3 8? I've completely forgotten how to do it and he's not back at school until September. His teacher has gone to New Zealand to see family, so I can't contact him until the start of term, by which time I'll be bald with frustration! I've tried splitting the notes into 9 semi quavers in a bar, but then can't re-arrange them into 3 quavers in a bar.

The first bar is:

dotted quaver, dotted quaver rest, dotted quaver which is tied to the first semiquaver of the next bar.

The second bar is:

nine semiquavers (but they're all different notes)

He also has to regroup 12 16 to 4 8 but I'm hoping that having sorted out the first one, I'll remember how to do the rest!

Many thanks

Anne

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

1 Aug 2011 9:48PM

Quote:
The first bar is:

dotted quaver, dotted quaver rest, dotted quaver which is tied to the first semiquaver of the next bar.

Anne - are you sure about this? 3 x dotted quaver + a rest comes to more than 9 in the bar Wink

However - Assuming it's 3 dotted quavers in 9/16 in 3/8 I think the equivalent would be 3 quavers, and in the second bar, with 9 semiquavers, you'd have 3 groups of semiquaver triplets.

Hope this makes sense!

Alan P.
Jat_Riski 11 89 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2011 9:50PM
i think the group answer is 3,2
1 Aug 2011 10:42PM
Alan,

I've added a scan of the question, hopefully this will make it clearer....

q4.jpg

Simon
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
1 Aug 2011 10:46PM
Nice use of DOF, I also like the contrast on this one!
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2011 1:22AM
The white balance is a bit off, though.

PS I'm musically illiterate
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
2 Aug 2011 5:00AM
You might find help here.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
2 Aug 2011 5:56AM
Dotted notes/rests become non-dotted notes/rests, groups of three become triplets. Similar deal for the other exercises.
2 Aug 2011 9:47AM
Anne - Jools is quite right - and awake/logged on far earlier than I am Wink

the equivalent would be:

1st bar - 1 quaver, 1 quaver rest, 1 quaver
2nd bar - 3 groups of semiquaver triplets.
3rd bar - Crotchet, quaver
4th Bar - 3 groups of semiquaver triplets

I hope that points you in the right direction for the others

Alan
2 Aug 2011 9:53AM
Many thanks Alan and Jools.

I've passed the information onto Anne.

Simon
2 Aug 2011 5:48PM
Many thanks. I have no idea why I had a mental block on this - it all seems so simple now!
Anne Grin
8 Aug 2011 2:08PM
We're having a bit of a bad day again, swopping all the black things from 6 4 timescale to a 2 2 timescale.

1-q4.jpg

Hopefully, you guys can come to my rescue again, before it all ends in divorce as it's my fault. Why it's my fault I have no idea as I know nothing about those little black splodges on the lines....

Simon
8 Aug 2011 2:45PM
Here you are applying the same principle from the first exerise to a different situation. Different, but not radically so. Bear in mind that you can stick two triplet braces over the notes in the second and subsequent bars to coerce them into 2/2 time. The last bar requires just one triplet grouping.
9 Aug 2011 4:59PM
No feedback as yet. Has this helped or have I just confused you further? I can put up a fully worked version, if you want.
9 Aug 2011 5:10PM
Hi, Jules,

Sorry for not replying earlier, it is very remiss of me/us not to take the time to thanks those who help.

Anne did read your comment earlier and I think she's still a bit confused, which is possibly why she didn't respond straight away, so yes your worked version would be great.

She's actually very cross with herself because she cant convert it herself and then she has to explain it to James, our 10 year old son who's actually doing the theory.

Thanks for you help

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.