Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Graphics Card for Photoshop CS6

Dave_Canon 10 1.2k United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 9:48AM
I am about to buy a new PC and trying to decide what I need in the way of a graphics card. I have googled for advice but this becomes dated quickly as new Graphics cards are released. I am considering NVIDIA and probably the 600 series. However, there is a big price difference as well as power consumption between different cards. I am not looking for the cheapest but a sensible choice based on relevant peformance, power consumption and cost. I do not have any gaming needs though perhaps low end gaming might be worth having but it is Lightroom, Photoshop and other image processing software that has priority. I would welcome any advice?

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jat_Riski 8 87 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 10:03AM
Hi Dave, latest Nvidia graphics card supports Cuda that make adobe software run 2x faster.
User_Removed 6 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Oct 2012 10:39AM
...but if you buy a PC with a modern motherboard, the on-board graphiics will be perfectly adequate and there is no need to waste money on a seperate graphics card (unless you also use the machine for high definition video games, etc.). Much more important to spend your shekels on a fast processor and plenty of fast RAM.

I am using a machine with an i7 processor and 16Gb of RAM but no graphics card - and that runs CS6 and LR4 superbly fast.
redsnappa 14 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 11:17AM

Quote:if you buy a PC with a modern motherboard, the on-board graphiics will be perfectly adequate and there is no need to waste money on a seperate graphics card

That advise would have been true 4- 5 years ago however the current and previous 2 - 3 versions of photoshop have included the facility to use a compatible graphics card's GPU to increase the speed that photoshop operates.
User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 12:19PM
The speedups for color grading and video editing in CS6 that some graphics cards allow for (like Nvidia Quadro range) are impressive. Speed ups in Photoshop are more modest - existing listed here and newer features here

Something like this is what I'd get for Photoshop.
22 Oct 2012 2:42PM
Thanks for the helpful advice.

Dave
JackAllTog Plus
7 4.5k 58 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 3:29PM
Hi Dave, are you getting Windows 8 on the PC - released later this week I think?
22 Oct 2012 10:23PM
Assuming I have any choice I will choose Windows 7. I understand that Windows 8 is more about touch screens and a Mobile/small platform look and feel which I would not find attractive. This will add an additional load for no benefit for me. I do have a review of Windows 8 in a recent computer Mag so I will read this first.

Dave
User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 11:35PM
I'm waiting on reviews of Windows 8 too. It would have to be really special for me to change. I'm very happy with Windows 7. It's mature, the drivers and service packs are mature.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.