graphics card in laptop is it needed

katieb 15 255 4 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2009 5:06PM
I want to buy a laptop - not for my main image processing - mainly for when I am away from home.
I am confused as to wether I need one with a graphics card and extra graphics ram or is that mainly for 3d work. I would be grateful for any advice please - also any reccomendations on makes there are so many out there - I just want the best possible image on the screen and loads of processing power and I don't want to spend more than 550 if poss.
Thank you
Kate

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 15 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Jun 2009 6:11PM
Technically for basic computing an extra Or more powerfull graphic card in a laptop may not be required.

However laptops in general are not as powerfull or as fast as thier desktop cousins, The main reason is that the hardware is power concious, It is designed to use as little power as it can, To perform tasks without killing the battery life span....!

Next consideration is the operating system your laptop will be loaded with, If its a Windows Vista laptop, Then I would seriously consider a graphic card upgrade, No matter what you intend to use the laptop for, This is because Vista is very pretty, But its also a graphic hog....Sad

If you have a standard graphic chip in the laptop, The Graphic chip will be allocated some of the " RAM " thats installed to perform graphic duties, Thus stealing it from applications......Sad

An add-on or upgraded graphic card should have its own dedicated Ram ( 256 Mb Minimum for Vista.....Though more is better )....!

As for main system " RAM " Have the maximum the laptop will take if you want a fairly swift machine, That said if its a 32bit system you'll be maxing out at 3 Gb, A 64bit system will take as much as you mainboard can cope with......4 Gb is nice, But 8 is better etc etc...!

If you have any idea about using something like Photoshop on your laptop, Always " Up-Spec " the system, You'll be glad you did....!

Smile

EDIT: Regarding your budget, Check out the Laptops on offer from DELL, You should get something nice for that price range.......Smile
katieb 15 255 4 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2009 6:22PM
Vince perfect answered my questions - Thank you
Kate

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.