Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Graphics tablets

tomcat606 11 108
27 Jul 2012 8:00PM
Hi
Graphics tablets like the Wacom range ‘does anyone use one when working on their photos And has it been worth the money. I know some of the models run it to two hundred pounds + right down to forty or fifty pounds

Any thoughts welcome Wink
Thanks
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
27 Jul 2012 8:15PM
Definitely, won't be without it.
Wacom bamboo fun would be big enough, for me anyway.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
27 Jul 2012 8:17PM
I've got the fifty quid jobbie.

Could be horses for courses perhaps but it does everything that I need it to.

It took a while to get the hang of it though.
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
27 Jul 2012 8:49PM
I've got the Wacom Bamboo & it's ideal. Wouldn't be without it.
Ewanneil 10 1.1k 2 Scotland
27 Jul 2012 8:50PM
I've got the Bamboo "Pen & Touch". It cost about £70 and is really excellent for my uses - quite detailed and multi-layered, hand colouring of scanned magazine adverts from early 1900s. You could save a few quid by only getting the "Pen" version. I'm not sure what benefits there are in being able to operate it using your fingers other than as a mouse replacement.

I would certainly recommend it. In fact I bought the Bamboo as a replacement for a much more expensive Aiptek one that I just couldn't get on with and I'm very, very glad I swapped.
27 Jul 2012 8:58PM

Quote:I'm not sure what benefits there are in being able to operate it using your fingers other than as a mouse replacement.

The one I have is the 'Pen.'
I deliberately chose it because it doesn't have the option to use your fingers. Personally, I always use a mouse with laptops. I've never been able to get on with touchpads.
bagman 10 65 United States
27 Jul 2012 9:51PM
I would be lost with out the ones i have.I think i still have a mouse some where but not sure if could fine it.
I do use mind for photo work and can do things with i could never do with a mouse.Enjoy the pen over any thing
else. REALLY a Wacom bamboo pen and touch will be fine.
Frank.
tomcat606 11 108
28 Jul 2012 4:44AM
Thank you all very much that's made my mind up , Amazon have some really good deals on the pen only type 

Thank you all very much for your help 

SteveWink
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 9:18AM
I have tried a couple and currently have a bamboo. The thing is no matter how I try I still find myself feeling frustrated with it, and it ends up sitting by the PC not being used.

The moral - whilst loads of people rate them they are not everyones preference, but you won't know until you try.

Adam
28 Jul 2012 10:49AM
Hi Adam,
That was pretty much my experience. I'd got used to doing everything using a mouse and using a pen felt really alien to begin with.
I used it initially for just certain things, I found that I could use the clone tool more accurately in tight corners with the pen. In fact, anything involving a brush or selections seems a good starting point.
I still use the mouse for at least half of what I do but the tablet does have its uses.

Bren.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 12:43PM
I find a bamboo useful for small detailes, e.g. where the magic pen thing hasn't quite cropped how I want.
It tends to get used not much for long peiods and a a heck of a lot for short periods. Very useful tool.
I sometimes use it in place of a mouse for normal use, and some people do use them as an rsi solution, but with the small pad and wide screen, I tend to run off the edge.
Nick_w 13 4.3k 99 England
28 Jul 2012 2:06PM
Another vote for Wacom bamboo Pen and Touch.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
28 Jul 2012 4:47PM

Quote:does anyone use one when working on their photos

Yes and yes. I wouldn't be without one (Wacom Intuos 4 Medium).

As already mentioned, they can take some getting used to. Best thing to do after buying one is to put your mouse out of the way in a drawer and use the pen for absolutely everything for a week or two, you'll then feel totally comfortable with it.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Jul 2012 7:45PM
All of the above.

ABSOLUTELY essential tool.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.