Don't Miss Out On Great WEX Offers - Find Out More

Grayscale in Elements....I'm super stuck!!

GiGiRocks 10 6 United Kingdom
4 May 2010 5:53PM
Hi Guys, is there a more advanced way to convert to grayscale in PE??, I'm doing a course at the minute so have downloaded the 30day trial version which dosn't seem to have the Lightness Channel or Channel mixer....or am I being a divi?! Also running out of time!

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gill

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mcgovernjon 11 138 United Kingdom
4 May 2010 6:10PM
Crtl+Shift+U?
4 May 2010 6:34PM
Thanks for replying....in what context?
blackbird 13 159 15 United Kingdom
4 May 2010 7:10PM
This is how I work around the lack of channel mixer in Elements - most of the b&w in my pf are done this way....

Open your picture in elements
click the 'create adjustment layer' button in the layers tab, ok it without adjusting anything
then click the 'gradient map' option also found in the layers tab, make sure you have got the black and white option selected (there are all sorts of other jazzy options available for when you want to really muck about!) and click ok.
Then you want to double click on the levels layer thumbnail - this will open a dialogue box where you can adjust the red, blue or green as you wish. Smile
I think it works really well but can take no credit for the method as I got it from a Scott Kelby book Smile
Hopefully the instructions make sense but if you want more details just let me know!
Gaucho 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
4 May 2010 7:28PM
Or buy and download Elements+ for $12. I love it.

Malcolm
4 May 2010 9:27PM
That's great guys, thanks.

Was hoping to keep my photographs natural but it seems I'm gonna have to give in and become a bit more technical!!!

Thanks again, I'm gonna try both options,

Gill
EddieAC 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
4 May 2010 10:09PM
There are various ways to convert to b&w in elements. If you want the functionality of a channel mixer then you can try downloading Grants Tools. This contains a channel mixer as well as other tools including layer masks and looks like it works for pse8.

If you are using raw files then you can drag the saturation slider all the way to the left in the raw editor to go to black and white. Then just play with the other sliders, including the temperature and tint sliders, and try to get the effect you like.

If your file is not a raw then try going to "File/Open As" then click once on the required photo. Select "Camera Raw" in the second drop down and click open. This should open your photo in the raw editor regardless of the type of file it is. I usually employ this method so I can use the noise reduction sliders on any non raw photo as I find it more effective than the "Reduce Noise" filter but it will work just as well for b&w. One thing to remember though is the highlights will blow out far easier than a raw file will so best try this with the clipping warning enabled.

Both these methods should work for the length of the 30 day trial.
5 May 2010 12:53PM
Ok, I'll give this a try also, yeah, I always use RAW so I'll follow instructions. I've just been informed by my tutor that I get 70% off PS so looking like a good investment,

Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated.

Gill

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.