30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Great British Life - Rights grab

mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
12 Feb 2010 1:39PM
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Feb 2010 1:54PM

Quote:"By submitting any material to Archant, You automatically grant Archant the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, edit, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such material (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in such content."

I'd like to see someone challenge that in open court... Might wake a few people up.

(And no mention of payment)
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2010 1:55PM
Nasty, thanks I have posted link on DPreview
rossd 18 1.1k England
12 Feb 2010 2:32PM
I posted an earlier topic about this comp as I was amused by the statement:

Quote:To be in with a chance of winning, simply encourage your friends and family to vote for your photo.

So thats how some Epz members get so many clicks/comments !
Smile

Edit: Forgot to add that the whole issue of rights grabbing was discussed here:

link
filmforever 13 775
12 Feb 2010 5:11PM
This kind of mass copyright abuse, was started by the television companies years ago ("send us your news pictures and we might mention your name".....woweeeeee). In fact, if you read the conditions of picture submission on their websites, not only will you not get paid, some TV companies even expect you to indemnify them against any legal redress as a result of using your pictures!!...
Unfortunately, they've been getting away with it, so now the magazine groups and even some national newspapers are trying it on.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Feb 2010 6:26PM
I had a routine email from Archant this evening....

I'm now unsubscribed.
laurawin 11 1
1 Mar 2010 11:54AM
Hi,
Great British Life's terms and conditions have now been revised,
To see full details please click this link - http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/revised-terms-and-conditions-great-british-life-18381/
Many thanks,
Team Great British Life,

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.