Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Great news photo from Miners' Strike

Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 1:23AM
Saw this today and love it. Speaks volumes. To me it says that a man who spends his days crawling underground is tougher than the kids sent by Thatcher. Regardless of the politics it's just a fab image.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/12/ipcc-will-not-investigate-orgreave-police-action-during-miners-strike#img-1

It was taken by Don McPhee for The Guardian

pink Plus
17 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 6:55AM
Tells a great story
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 8:19AM
Interesting interpretation Smile

I grew up in Rotherham and was 16 when the miners strike started. Lots of my friends' fathers worked in the pits, although mostly down the road in Maltby, where equally bad confrontations took place.
People in the area still have a deep hatred of Thatcher over what took place, but the NUM's policy of using flying pickets and agitators to incite violence was the cause of most of the trouble. I heard stories of a peaceful picket line being suddenly joined by bus loads of thugs from outside the area, who would then kick off the stone throwing...
A bad piece of history from both side. Sad
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.3k 2274 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 8:37AM
Don McPhee's photograph is the defining image of the 1980s for me.
I've just just tracked down a replacement copy of No Redemption, Keith Pattison's photographs of the strike at Easington Colliery together with eye-witness accounts. (I managed to lose track of who I'd lent my original copy to... ) If you can get hold of it I thoroughly recommend it.
altitude50 16 20.1k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 9:15AM
Destroy Factories, shipyards and mines and build houses and leisure centres on the site for people with no jobs. Thatís progress!Wink
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 9:25AM
Since this is posted in photography discussion and not healthy debate, I'll try not ti dip into politics too much... but....

Before he joined the NCB, Ian MacGregor made British Steel almost profitable by halving the workforce. Unpopular move, but what is the alternative? There were many industries in this country that were inefficient and expensive, and it was cheaper to buy stuff from overseas. People naturally want to buy the cheapest stuff they can, which is why our farming industry is doing so badly. Farmers don't get paid a decent price for their goods because Joe Public wants to buy the cheapest milk possible from Tesco or Aldi. Farmers can't go on strike.
davidburleson 13 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 9:48AM
It's a great photo. It makes you wonder what thoughts are going through each individual's head. It's photos like this that speaks volumes about these events as they feel much more personal. You sometimes have to wonder if the individuals even want to be there.
12 Jun 2015 9:55AM
A lot of moment and character in the photo. While this image was a media commodity of the time and as such would not need to be technically perfect - it is a part of not-so remote history now and as such in time will only increase it's aesthetic and documental value.
Good find.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.1k 68 Norway
12 Jun 2015 9:56AM

Quote:You sometimes have to wonder if the individuals even want to be there.

The miners were there because they were trying to save not just their own jobs, but the future of entire local communities.
Most of the police officers that I knew who had participated were there because they were ordered to be there. They felt that they were the pawns in a game of politics, and very very many sided personally with the miners.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Jun 2015 10:08AM
A good many police officers paid lumps off their mortgages and bought cars and holidays with their overtime.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2015 10:14AM
Your point being....?
12 Jun 2015 10:24AM
Irony
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
12 Jun 2015 10:25AM
To me, although the overall situation may have been tumultuous, this moment between the two men is a puzzle. The young policeman seems to be saying something in a polite manner to the miner, and the miner is listening in a rather patronising kind of way, (can't blame him, the copper looks about 12). There seems to be no conflict here as such. My eye is rather drawn to the moustache on the policeman in the background though. I'm not sure if that would be allowed today.
12 Jun 2015 10:33AM
It would. Wink
12 Jun 2015 10:34AM
Great image reflecting feelings at the time, it's interesting to see the police have removed any identification from their uniform shoulders. I remember walking past many lines of police while taking my infant children to school here in Nottinghamshire.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.