Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Great photo little interest

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
9 Apr 2016 4:24PM
Tells you how much I know about it - I don't know what GE or UA are Sad

When you think of all the photographers you have admired they will all have one thing in common. They have a style. It's not tried for or forced, it just happens when you take enough pictures and as it must, your own character comes out through it. The other thing they have in common is that not everyone will like their work.

It's hard for an amateur or enthusiast to get to the 'own style' position because when you are earning a living you can't take pictures all the time. Therefore pictures can tend to be modelled on those that have been admired or won competitions. At a certain point, with a bit of self-confidence and perseverance, those pictures modelled on others start to change and you are modelling each one on your own pictures. For a lot of people now, that chance comes when they are retired.

Praised or not, though, I always think the main thing is that you enjoy photography. If you do (and why would anyone be discussing it here anyway, otherwise?) even unfairness or lack of appreciation is just a spur to do more of it. I learned far more from the picture and art editors who ripped my work apart than I ever did from the ones who thought it was good enough.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
9 Apr 2016 4:26PM

Quote:All the the above comments are quite relevant, but I do think that images that may not be of a particularly high standard do deserve the encouragement of a few clicks and comments. If we only clicked on the best images many could then become discouraged. Sites like this one should be friendly places where everyone is encouraged to improve and enjoy the hobby.

Exactly.
It has been said so many times before: how individual members use and enjoy the site is their choice, and no one should criticise others for using the site in a way they personally don't find to their liking. As long as members keep to the posted T&Cs then we should all get on with enjoying the site in the way that suits us best.
9 Apr 2016 5:05PM
Don't let it get to you,it is annoying but it seems to be the norm on most sites now,you could put up an award winning shot that has just won a major competition and it would still go relatively unnoticed. The site that really gets to me is 500px, you can have a terrible blurred out of focus shot right at the top and way further back a superb image almost ignored. A lot of people will not take a constructive comment on a image and just see it as having a go,it is a sad fact of the Digital age that everyone thinks they are a photographer.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 599 England
9 Apr 2016 5:58PM

Quote:everyone thinks they are a photographer

I'd add 'good' or 'excellent' in there Grin

I'm glad motorsport images have been mentioned. There are some accomplished photographers who post here. Having done a fair bit of that a while ago I can appreciate the effort/skill required, not that that in itself means I'd vote on it, it has to be a good shot. I think with that subject, and there are others, sport in general, it's not so much about cliques as something that doesn't float everyone's boat.
9 Apr 2016 9:34PM
Just a thought...as "photographers" do we not get a bit...blinkered..looking for sharpness, composition, light treatment, skill in capturing seemingly impossible shots...etc.?

whereas Joe Public will go for...novelty, colorfulness, amusement, looks different, thought provoking..and don't even consider the photographer's skill and experience...Sad

...But some of the big competition judges opinions do scrabble my brain a little...! Tongue
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
9 Apr 2016 10:04PM
I'm a bit of a blinkered photographer Joe public then. I appreciate a technically brilliant photo, but even more I love imagination and a bit of serendipity. Perfect technique isn't the be all and end all; give me originality and engagement any time.
redhed17 14 866 England
9 Apr 2016 10:35PM

Quote:All the the above comments are quite relevant, but I do think that images that may not be of a particularly high standard do deserve the encouragement of a few clicks and comments. If we only clicked on the best images many could then become discouraged. Sites like this one should be friendly places where everyone is encouraged to improve and enjoy the hobby.

If clicks or likes are supposed to be/or seen as, a measure of how good an image is, then clicking on images which one doesn't believe to worthy of being clicked, liked or voted on for encouragement may do more harm than good imho. If you want to encourage then comment if you (and by 'you' I mean anyone) are not already doing so to encourage and offer ways to improve. I know I appreciate people taking the time to comment on my images than those who just click a button.

Of course people use the clicks/likes/votes or whatever on any site they way they want to use these things, and that is their right of course, as long as it was said in a previous post it does not contravene the T&C of any site you are on.

If you are taking pictures though then you should be doing it to please yourself first and foremost, and if anyone else likes what you do that is a bonus. Someone, or many people not liking my image(s) doesn't suddenly make the image(s) I obviously liked and wanted to show people worse, or at least it shouldn't. The only people who 'need' to have other people like their work are those that are trying to sell them. If you have had your confidence in your 'ability' artificially inflated by insincere clicks/likes/votes on various sites then you could be in for a world of pain should you try to get more serious and start selling, or even worse, offering your services as a professional. Just my opinion of course. Smile
redhed17 14 866 England
9 Apr 2016 10:59PM

Quote:Just a thought...as "photographers" do we not get a bit...blinkered..looking for sharpness, composition, light treatment, skill in capturing seemingly impossible shots...etc.?

whereas Joe Public will go for...novelty, colorfulness, amusement, looks different, thought provoking..and don't even consider the photographer's skill and experience...Sad

Everyone has their own personal criteria, even if it an unconscious thing, as to what they like or don't like. If you want the man (womanWink) in the street's opinion of your images then you post on FB and the like. If you want a hopefully more considered view of your image(s), with maybe some critique and/or advice, then you post on sites like this, which are hopefully populated by peers who at least take pictures themselves, if not more of an enthusiast, or even a professional.

I put images online now with the hope that someone will buy them. Someone putting their money where there mouth is, so to speak, will tell me how much someone really likes an image. So far I have had one image in two national magazines, and sold two copies of the same image. So I have taken at least one good image. lol
Lenscapon 3 64
10 Apr 2016 1:05AM
35 votes, one Award and 9 comments. Not exactly being ignored?

But as a non bird expert this particular image did not look to be your strongest to me.

The pose of the birds in your other shots was more dynamic and the light was better. I don't know the species in the bird shots, and when scanning the gallery I thought this one was a pigeon!

It was only when looked again after reading you post that I realized it was a hawk. Photos need thumbnail appeal (unless the photographer has a lot of mutual appreciation friends) to get a lot of comments.

But quantity does not always equate quality anyway.
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
10 Apr 2016 9:59AM
Glorious seascapes, Robins, Kingfishers, and models with their bits out will nearly always get a disproportionate number of votes, on all the photo websites, and here probably more so than other sites. Most seem to "like" happy colourful things that are pleasing on the eye, and are less likely to "like" challenging images. In my own PF I look at those with the most votes, they are from when I did landscapes, and a lot of those are poor when I look back at them. Votes are no indication on how good an image is, and certainly not a good representative of what people will pay hard earned money for to put a framed print on their wall.

Should the viewer think, oh he spent 10 hours there up to his armpit is in water, or they spent 20 hours processing it. IMHO no, the image should be judged on the output, pure and simple.
andybebbs 11 591 1 England
11 Apr 2016 7:15AM
I have to agree with your comment but i suppose what floats your boat does not float others which is sad but the way it is on here but i would say 38 votes and an award is pretty good myself.
Andy
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2016 7:31AM

Quote:35 votes, one Award and 9 comments. Not exactly being ignored?

I guess the way to get attention for your photos is to moan about it on the forum. I am totally in agreement with Lemmy's first comment, which I won't repeat other than to say a photo is judged on what you see, not what went into making it.

I know certain camera club judges who would assume that this bird is captive, since the pose could hide the jesses. (Like the judge who couldn't decide whether my photo of the Golden Gate Bridge was taken from the English side or the Welsh side. I'm not joking.)
11 Apr 2016 8:07AM
One of my mates is a semi pro, he does table and place mats along with many other bits and bobs with his snaps on them and what annoys him is that a kingfisher sat on a stick looking pretty will sell well, where as a kingfisher in flight or even worse with a fish in its beak won't sell well or at all

BOAS always seem to trump BIF shots, and that's not just on here

In the last but one comp in our club, I stuck a large print A3 size of a blue tit in flight almost filling the frame looking back over its shoulder at me, a magical portrait as far as I was concerned and as the judge seemed very interested and was commenting on on portrait technique on many of the preceding images, I was hoping for some comment in that direction, no chance, comments were image over sharpened and shape of wings not nice, result lowest mark, so what's the point of using my 300mm f2.8 I think afterwards

Once over it would have been bothered me, but it's just the way it is but I shoot for my enjoyment and stick my best images on my walls, it's nice when people appreciate what you do, but it's not critical to your enjoyment

Have a word with Keith to see if you can get on the guest editors list, it's a great week and you get to see and pick from all the images posted it was a real eye opener to me, not just the quality or lack of it but also the view and vote numbers
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
16 Apr 2016 11:35PM
Luck of the draw, I'm afraid.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.