Grey Import Sigma 10-20mm, where do I stand?

leybald 10 55 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2010 7:32PM
I think this email to Amazon explains my problem, has anyone got any suggestions besides what I'm already doing (no response yet as email only sent this evening.)

I have tried to register my lens with Sigma UK and they state that this is not a UK import and does not qualify for their extra 2 years (on top of the standard 1 year) warranty for the EX series of lenses. It's what's known as "grey import." If I had known it was not a UK lens I would not have purchased it as I won't have the security of the extended 3 year warranty and may not even be covered by the standard 1 year warranty. The serial number which I checked with Sigma UK is 10550157. The contact at Sigma UK is a Gary Rutter grutter@sigma-imaging-uk.com, tel 01707 329 999.

There is no mention on your webpage of this item being a grey import therefore I would be obliged if you could arrange for a UK version of the lens to be shipped to my registered home address and I will have the none-UK version packaged ready for collection by the courier.

If this is not satisfactory I will be contacting my credit card company to resolve the matter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2010 7:56PM
Was it amazon itself or a market place trader?
If it was a trader did the advert state, regardless of the print size, it was not a UK lens or that the warranty was with them not Sigma?

Have a look at the receipt, does it have evidence of you paying VAT.

To my knowledge Sigma honours the 1 year warranty when you show you paid VAT. They may even do the same for the extended. No VAT then fair COP in my eyes. Send sigma a copy of your receipt. They may relent.
strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2010 8:03PM
If it was British bargains they make no mention of 3 year warranty, so I guess you are stuck. You could contact them, but they do not offer the extra warranty. If you read the Sigma page it states

Quote:Before purchasing your Sigma EX lens, please check with your retailer that the lens has been imported by Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd. If the lens has not been imported by us, the extended UK warranty will not be available.
So unless you did that first, Sigma UK will be at liberty to refer you back to the supplier.
8 Apr 2010 8:13PM
It was a market place trader and it does appear from the receipt that VAT was paid. I may have to contact my credit card company as I should be covered by section 75 of the consumer credit act if the trader doesn't play ball. I found some info here moneysavingexpert on Martin Lewis's website
8 Apr 2010 8:39PM
Its just been pointed out to me in the item description as part of the box contents -

"2 Year Extended UK Warranty Card"

Well it ain't in the box so I should have a good case.
Nickscape 13 708 9 England
21 Apr 2010 9:27AM
This is one of the problems with buying through marketplace, the seller cannot add their own details and only link to the Amazon listing which will be setup for their UK versions. The seller is in the wrong as they should have set a new listing up under a different ASIN showing that it is a grey import. Amazon can open a case against the seller and you should get a full refund, have u contacted the marketplace seller as normally they are keen to give a good servive for fear of receiving negative feedback. Amazon will not be able to swap the lens as apart from the payment it really doesn't have much to do with them. Contact the seller and take it from there.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
21 Apr 2010 12:11PM
Last I checked sellers in the marketplace can add their own notes on a product being sold. I have purchased books through the marketplace and whilst the main book page itself is not changed each marketplace retailer has a spot under their offer for notes about the product - in books its mostly noting the condition - for a lens noting that its grey import would go there.
JeffDahn 10 4 United States
1 Jan 2011 8:49PM
Was this issue ever resolved?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.